1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Finally Got My BO Pullet Chicks!!!! *New Pics*

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mandylovespets, Apr 15, 2008.

1. mandylovespets

mandylovespets Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    So I asked my DH if I could get another chick so my other chick (blue chick I got as a gift for my b-day!) could have a companion... Well he told me that I could ONLY GET ONE! So I said ok [​IMG]!!! Then I treid to figure how to convince him to let me get more LOL [​IMG] and it turns out my blue chick is a roo (more than likely), so I'm going to have to give it away... So I told him all my BYC friends told me that I should have at LEAST 2 chickens together otherwise they'll get lonely and he totally gave in!!! PLUS he loves scrambled eggs and I said the more chickens we have, the more scrambled eggies you get LOL!!!! [​IMG]...Well he took me to the feed store to get my "2" new chicks (BO's) and when we got there he said I could have 4!!!!!! [​IMG] I was sooo happy!!! So it turns out I got 3 BO chicks and he picked out a gosling that he fell in love with!!!!! So yes it was my lucky day!!! [​IMG] Here are my little gals'!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] This last pic is the gosling inbetween my 2 ducks, and the blue chick laying close by!!! [​IMG]

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Through this entire post i was confused about 'blue chick'. I first thought it was a toy....and you were kidding around about it needing a friend. Then you said it was a boy and would have to go.....so i then wondered what kind of chick was blue. All i could think was a peachick maybe. Then i finally realized it must be a dyed chick from easter. I have heard they use the occasion to send out some of the extra roosters. Anyway, they are all adorable [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have blue chickens that are not dyed. [​IMG]

I am glad you go more chicks. I nearly snorted coffee when I read that HE chose a gosling then it made me sad.

That little goose is going to grow very fast. It also will need a goose companion. He needs to go back ASAP and get another one. Call them and ask them to hold at least 1 or 2 more for you to pick up. I am not kidding and this isn't a way to get more chicks for you. That goose needs a companion. As it matures it will get bigger and likely to be meaner than you anticipate. If it is a male it requires a mate to 'mate' with.

The gosling cannot eat medicated chick feed. The meds in it become toxic in their systen after a few days. Make sure you have plain feed. It won't be able to able to eat as much as it needs from a chick feeder as they scoop to eat. It needs a place with water to be able to dip its beak in deep and clear its nostrils. After about a week or two it will need a little dish to climb in and play in the water in for a bit every day. Geese are waterfowl but you have to watch them in beginning because they can easily tire and drown even in shallow water.

Geese are grazers. They need lots of fresh green grass to eat. They do not eat bugs and insects like ducks and chicks do. Plenty of cool sweet grass for them.

The same as you got companion chicks you MUST have companion geese. They may be okay in the same brooder for a little while but the goose will out grow the chicks and can hurt them. My 2 week old geese are twice as big as my 8 week old chicks. A trio of geese is ideal when raising them.

They will get along with the ducks for a while but eventually will separate themselves as they reach mating age. If the goose is a male and it tries to mate a duck you're gonna have a fight if one of the ducks is a male and the mounted duck is his mate.

Please. Please buy another goose for that one to have a companion.

4. mandylovespets

Apr 3, 2008
    Quote:LOL!!! Sorry for the confusion!!! That's funny though!!! Yes, blue chickie is real I think he's a White Leghorn... But I can't have any roo's with my neighbors being so close, darn it! I should just keep him, my neighbor has this little dog that never shuts up! LOL! It's so anoying!!! See how they like it!!! Nah, I'm not mean like that lol! He is a sweety though!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  5. mandylovespets

Apr 3, 2008
    Thank you MissPrissy, I'm gald you gave such a wonderful reply! He loves that little goose and I think he'll understand if I explain to him that she needs a companion too lol! Anyways, all the animals I have are in pairs!... But knowing him he'll say, "ya right you just say they have to be in pairs because you want more" lol!!! But thanks for your input!!! Much needed info!!! I love this site!

6. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Very Cute little buffs. Congrats! You'll really enjoy them. [​IMG]

7. mandylovespets

Apr 3, 2008
    Quote:Thank you sooo much!!! And if anyone would like to share your pics of your BO's I would LOVE to see them!!!!

8. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

I'll be sharing pics of my new BO's in about a week...[​IMG]

9. mandylovespets

Apr 3, 2008
    Quote:Oh Yaaah!!! Are you getting chickies too???... I noticed your sig. says you have a flock of BO's??? How do you like them, what is their temperment like???...

10. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    Okay, I tried to post photos and failed miserably!! [​IMG] So, if you want to click on the link to my blog below, you'll see a list of labels on the right side of the screen. Click on "chickens." I think there are like 2 pages (you'll have to click on "older posts" on the bottom of the first page to see more.) I guess I'm going to have to register with photobucket if I'm going to try to post pics here! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by