I finally got my first chicken!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CaGoatLady, Sep 16, 2010.

1. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Well, rooster, but it's a start! Somebody dumped two big roosters down at our little lake, so my neighbor and I went down to try to get them, but this guy was the only one that was friendly enough. I'm used to being around my neighbor's little Banties and this guy has HUGE legs and feet. When I transferred him from the crate I caught him in, I put on gloves and safety glasses just in case he got crazy on me, but he didn't and I took him out of the cage, like you would do with a big fat cat, and he just sort of melted in my arms, so I took off the gloves and glasses and stood there holding and petting him while I talked soothingly to him. Then, I put him in his new temporary home (a large wire dog crate) and he went right over to his food and let me pet his back the whole time he was eating. This morning, no cock-a-doodle-doo from him when I went out to feed the goats, just as the sun was starting to come up, but he was puffed and sleeping on his roost still. I'm glad to see he's not too easily startled because my 7 dogs rush out the gate pretty fast and furious sometimes. I've named him Little Jerry, like the rooster that Kramer took to the fights on an old Seinfeld episode.

[​IMG]

2. colada584

colada584 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Gardiner, NY
    Congrats! Nice find, he's very handsome!

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Congrats on your first chicken! The first chicken that I ever got to know in real life was a rooster. He belonged to someone else but ate treats from my hand - I fell in love with chickens because of him.

4. CaGoatLady

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Does Little Jerry look like a Plymouth Rock breed? He's got all of that black with white speckles and then a few of the turquoise iridescent feathers towards his tail.

5. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Very nice bird! I would check him for mites tough.

6. CaGoatLady

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    What do mites look like on a chicken and what are the signs? What would I treat with in case he has them?

7. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Let the chicken math commence!

8. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    He's very pretty...errr, handsome:)

9. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:The signs of Northern fowl mites are a loss of feather around the vent and red irritated skin around the vent. And the mites themselves look like little red/yellow dots moving around. You'll find them around the vent mostly. Scaly leg mites ( the worst IMO) will raise the scales on the legs and feet so that they arn't laying flat against the leg anymore. The legs/feet will also be crusty and kinda look like they've been dipped in wet cement. One way of treating the Northern fowl mites, is to dust them with some kind of dust powder you can get at you feedstore. Dust them around their bum the most, but dust them every where else too. And also dust their pens/cages. Wait 2 weeks and repeat. The best way to get rid of Scaly leg mites is pour-on Ivermectin for cattle. Mix it in a spray bottle ( 1 part Ivermectin to 10 parts water) and spray their bum and under their wings a few times. Repeat in 2 weeks. You are probably going to want to dust their home also. The Invermectin will work for most Parasites. So if you treat with the Invermectin you will kill the Northern fowl mites, and the Scaly leg mites, and will also worm the bird at the same time.

10. CaGoatLady

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Thanks! You're probably talking about sevin dust? I guess my first bit of education will be chicken anatomy; what the heck and where is the "vent?" His legs look good. I haven't seen anything crawling around on him, but I haven't really looked under the feathers. Last night, I was out feeding him and I started petting his back and putting my fingers up under his ruff and scratched and massaged his neck, like I do for my parrot; he loved it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by