I finally got my kid in 4-H!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jan 5, 2009.

1. After two years of trying on my own to get my kid into the local 4-H chapter, I met a woman locally who was thinking about putting together a homeschooling poultry group and then backed out, and when she did she gave me all this info for 4-H people. Sadly, as soon as I said I knew so-and-so I was welcome with open arms. [​IMG]
    But at least now my son, who really needs a boost to his self confidence and stuff and who adores our chickens, will have a crack at what hopefully is a really good program. And to make things better, they are starting a brand new poultry group here locally and the first meeting is on the 10th [​IMG]
    Here's hoping it's good! I've already been told that the Little Rhody Poultry Club will be donating a bunch of fertile eggs from show quality birds for the 4-H kids to hatch! Now we REALLY need a bator!

2. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    4-H is a great group. Our two children were in drama and the arts. We did not have chickens yet. Kept them busy with fun and worthwhile projects. Good for you!(and them)[​IMG]

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Congrats, and way to go! Hopefully this will lead to a possible showing at your county fair! If it doesn't thats fine too....4-H is a great program for kids, and parents too!

bigzio

4. Quote:Thankfully we showed our chickens last year at the county fair without being in 4-H, but it will be cooler (is that a word?) to do it while a member of 4-H....

Thanks guys, I'm more excited than my son is right now... I decided to have him join for this year and wait on my 6 year old daughter till next year. Let it be a mother/son thing for this year. I signed up to be a volunteer already too... Fun!

5. Chicken Salad

Chicken Salad Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    TWO YEARS????? That's insane. Please go here http://www.uri.edu/coopext/4H/ Find your local cooperative Extension office (government phone book pages under your county) and TELL THEM that. They want and need to know that.

I work for the extension office in my county - trust me - they want to know. So does the county government that's helping to FUND them. They're not doing their job. Tell this lady: Whitney Bancroft 401-789-6223, Ex. Dir. RI 4-H Club Foundation Inc. [email protected]. And tell the dean of the college: Jeffrey R. Seemann
    Dean, CELS
    Director, RI Agricultural Experiment Station
    Director, RI Cooperative Extension
    112 Woodward Hall
    (401) 874-2957
    [email protected]

They need to know they're clientele are not being well-served.

4-H is part of the land grant university program of 1890. Land grant universities were GIVEN public land in exchange for a mandate to run programming outreach - like 4-H. They are typically funded by your state, some federal monies and locally - county money. YOUR money. PineBurrowPeeps: You can find out what they offer here: http://www.uri.edu/ce/index1.html. EVERY state has a land grant university with Extension.

If anyone wants to find their local Extension and hasn't been able to - you just e-mail me.

6. Chicken Salad

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Quote:Thankfully we showed our chickens last year at the county fair without being in 4-H, but it will be cooler (is that a word?) to do it while a member of 4-H....

Thanks guys, I'm more excited than my son is right now... I decided to have him join for this year and wait on my 6 year old daughter till next year. Let it be a mother/son thing for this year. I signed up to be a volunteer already too... Fun!

Kids as young as 5 can be in 4-H as clovers. They can't compete but they get to experience 4-H and hit the ground running as junior members at 7.

7. Quote:You're absolutely right, it is insane. I had given up. Then some others on my home schooling group started complaining with me about not ever being able to contact anyone (one Mom sent in her membership fee for her kid and has still not heard anything, called URI recently and was told "Yeah, we got that... You should be getting something in the mail at some point..." and that was it).
    I literally had one man who came out to my place and bought 5 birds from me this fall, tell me flat out to not bother because no one ever checks the e-mail or answers the phone messages. He's a judge for the local poultry shows!
    It seems very much like closed membership to me too. Like I said, the same e-mail address I had been sending the occasional message to for two years and hearing nothing, I got a reply within 3 hours of when I said I knew so and so. I can't wait to actually see what these people are like.
    I have heard some horror stories about some of them locally but I like the way the program is supposed to be and until I see it for myself I'm not going to believe it. Maybe I'll become a leader myself at some point [​IMG]

8. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I am glad you finally made contact but sad that it is obviously being mishandled by the people in charge there! Wow, I would definitely be contacting the numbers Chicken Salad gave you. They will check into it for you. I would normally say, 4-H is a great program, because normally, it is, I hope that is your experience too!

9. Chicken Salad

Nov 6, 2008
    Frederick, Maryland
    Quote:You're absolutely right, it is insane. I had given up. Then some others on my home schooling group started complaining with me about not ever being able to contact anyone (one Mom sent in her membership fee for her kid and has still not heard anything, called URI recently and was told "Yeah, we got that... You should be getting something in the mail at some point..." and that was it).
    I literally had one man who came out to my place and bought 5 birds from me this fall, tell me flat out to not bother because no one ever checks the e-mail or answers the phone messages. He's a judge for the local poultry shows!
    It seems very much like closed membership to me too. Like I said, the same e-mail address I had been sending the occasional message to for two years and hearing nothing, I got a reply within 3 hours of when I said I knew so and so. I can't wait to actually see what these people are like.
    I have heard some horror stories about some of them locally but I like the way the program is supposed to be and until I see it for myself I'm not going to believe it. Maybe I'll become a leader myself at some point [​IMG]

Leaders are one thing - there's the good, the bad and the ugly there - no question. BUT your Extension agent needs to look into this. For one thing - 4-H is FEDERALLY funded and have affirmative action and other obligations since they spend tax-payer money.

I'm gonna make some calls tomorrow. Email me with just your city/town name - and I'll let you know what I find out.

10. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

You may also want to consider having your child enroll in the APA-ABA Youth Program at http://www.apa-abayouthprogramsite.org/. The cost is $5...kids get a "fun" portfolio to do. The website gives Educational Resources to learn about care, illness, and showmanship. My kids LOVE it. It gives them a real edge at competitions....but my kids compete more with themselves (over the previous year's scores)...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by