I FINALLY HATCHED TURKEYS!!! Jersey Buff Hatching & Poult Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DawnSuiter, Sep 5, 2008.

1. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone! [​IMG]
    As most of you know I've been struggling this last month or so with hatching turkeys. For those who don't know...I had a great many eggs, only 4 developed... I cracked all the non developed eggs and saw nothing, so assuming I didn't really have any quitters.. I dunno.. still a novice here.

Anywho.. here are two that hatched last night... we're still waiting on 1 egg that had a live poult in it when they went into the hatcher.. TODAY is hatch day, so I'm waiting patiently while leaving the other two in the bator..

This is our first to hatch but 2nd to pip
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

This is 2nd to hatch, but pipped 2 days ago!! She is not as well.. was a bit bloody and very wet.. something odd about one of it's eyes, but otherwise it's doing well now!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#1 is comforting #2 when it finally got on its feet (so glad they have eachother)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

and here they are today... lookin much better & fluffier. They are VERY aware of their surroundings and are trying to get to me anytime i peer in the window...

Can I leave them in there LONGER than 24 hours? Turkey poults are kinda tall compared to chicks... are they in any danger in here?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm SO happy, and I still hold hope out for egg #3 it's still early on actual hatch day... it's possible I'm sure

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two Turkey Poults!!! YAY
    Sigh of relief... after all that's involved, both groups of eggs yadda yadda.. these guys cost me a LOT of money.. even though its too much to ask I'm gonna do it anyway.. (Turkey Goddess, could these please please please be healthy happy turkeys that live a long & happy life here on our farm... )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2008
  2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Good job!!! Make sure to use a medicated starter 24 % protien or at least 20 %. Also best to raise them on wire until 10 weeks old. Best of luck with them.

3. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    "Everybody loves a turkey"

We keep ours in the 'bator until they are fully dry and then take them to the brooder. Watch them close for the first couple days to make sure they are eating and drinking.

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by