I finally have a chicken in the house!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SoccerMomof7, Jan 20, 2009.

1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay well the nicest person in the world hatched an egg for me when my rooster died and now I have a lonely chick. We tried to hatch 5, my girls weren't laying very well, and 2 didn't develop and 2 I don't think were fertile. Well this is the loudest chick in the world. I finally got up because I have been laying in bed for 2 hours trying to sleep. He's in a fish tank next to my bed with the light, and it's like he's never going to sleep!!! Any advice? He's only a day old and I have a stuffed animal that he plays with and the tank it next to a huge mirror on my dresser.

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    is it a white light, if so get a red light for night time

3. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    william you all over BYC i love it lol your the yoda of the chicken world! lol kudos

4. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Yes it is a red light

5. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would say, if the basic needs are met (heat 95*, water, food) and it's vent is clear...he's just lonely. If you snuggle it under your shirt or chin, does it quiet right down?

6. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    I once hatched just two chicks and put a feather duster in their brooder. The absolutely loved it. It makes them feel safe because its like sleeping under mamma hen [​IMG]

7. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    That's a great idea, maybe I will try to find one, either that or find a chik sedative so I can sleep at night! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Okay well I got a nap and can finally function on a normal basis. I figured that I am just going to get tired enough that I will sleep through the chirping!

9. sheralynb

sheralynb New Egg

Nov 29, 2008
    Make sure he is comfortable and get him a feather duster, then...put his loud hiney in another room [​IMG]

10. SoccerMomof7

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    He's getting a little better but when he sees us he goes crazy wanting attention.

BTW [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by