I finally joined officially :-)

ChickenSkool

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 28, 2013
Central Ohio
Hi guys - I have read SO much helpful info on here, I never really needed to ask anything (and I certainly didn't know enough to give any answers!) until tonight, so I just joined up. About me: I just moved to Ohio in August, studied and learned and started getting chickens in September. I went from a little store-bought coop to turning our shed into a coop palace.
yippiechickie.gif
I now have 11 laying hens currently: 2 Golden Comets, 2 Black Stars, 2 Black Australorps, 2 Silver-laced Wyandottes, 2 Easter Eggers, and 1 Black Copper Maran. They are super awesome and I LOVE my chickens and new hobby, even if it is considerably more work than I expected! (Original plan was to have 4 hens. Yes, they are certainly addicting!)

In March, I am planning to get 25 chicks. I bought my other hens at 9 weeks or more, so chicks will be new. Hence my first question about if it will hurt my current layers to share their coop with a brooder of chicks. Anyway, I really appreciate this site and all of you and all the help this has been to me already!

ChickenSkool
smile.png

Hi and :welcome

Putting the brooder in the coop shouldn't be an issue. I suppose the main challenge is usually mixing them together when the chicks are older, and avoiding the pecking that tends to go on in such situations. Perhaps having the brooder in the coop will accustom the hens to the new arrivals and they won't have such a defensive reaction. :p

Good luck! Raising chicks is really a lot of fun, and they're very cute.
Enjoy the site :D

Is that your coop in your avatar? You have snow - it looks very beautiful!

Thanks for replying! Yes, that is my coop with my friendliest chicken (Peggy Sue) checking out my camera. We have had snow off & on so far this winter. I love it! The chickens don't like to come out when the ground is completely covered, though. Peggy Sue was being brave because she thought I had treats. (I guess I probably did!)

Thanks for replying! Yes, that is my coop with my friendliest chicken (Peggy Sue) checking out my camera. We have had snow off & on so far this winter. I love it! The chickens don't like to come out when the ground is completely covered, though. Peggy Sue was being brave because she thought I had treats. (I guess I probably did!) 

Very nice - I love snow too. I live in Australia now though, so we don't get any these days :p Our chickens are usually out there trying to stave off the heat! Peggy Sue looks nice. Is she a red star? We have always kept red stars- wonderful chickens.

Yes, Peggy Sue is a Red Star (well as far as I can learn, that is another name for Golden Comet). My 2 Red Stars and 2 Black Stars were my very first chickens I got at about 9 weeks old. The reds are the best - super friendly and very consistent layers of big eggs, even when it's been cold.

Australia, huh? Cool. I have visited Perth and it was great.
cool.png

Yes, Peggy Sue is a Red Star (well as far as I can learn, that is another name for Golden Comet). My 2 Red Stars and 2 Black Stars were my very first chickens I got at about 9 weeks old. The reds are the best - super friendly and very consistent layers of big eggs, even when it's been cold. 

Australia, huh? Cool. I have visited Perth and it was great. :cool:

They're indeed very friendly and quite simple to care for. We get a fair few double yolkers from our chickens as well. I've heard many different names for red stars, and they all sound pretty cool. :p

We have yet to visit Perth, although we are slowly making our way around to seeing all the states :lol:

Back
Top Bottom