I finally registered

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by christy1027, Aug 30, 2016.

1. christy1027

christy1027 New Egg

Aug 30, 2016
    I have been reading forums on this site for quite a while, but I finally registered today!

I currently have 34 chickens and a turkey. I also have a Labrador retriever that loves eating chicken food and poop, and the birds are not phased by her in their coop at all!

I live in the NW corner of NM... It gets pretty cold here in the winter. Last winter I used a heated dog bowl for 12 birds... this year I am looking into trying something different that will work for a lot more birds!

Love having my birds!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Hello from Kansas, Christy, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community! Yes, keepingthe water thawed is always a concern. Sounds like you are really enjoying your flock! Best wishes and enjoy BYC! :)

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    P.S. After I sent the previous reply I typed in "winter watering" and then "winter water" into the BYC search box. Lots of threads and some really clever methods were discussed. Might give it a try. There is a wealth of collective ingenuity on BYC on a multitude of topics! Best wishes!

4. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
  5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

Gets cold here in Utah too..I also use a heated bowl for my chickens. I just buy the heated ones for the chickens. There really are a lot of pretty cool different ways that folks have come up with to keep the water from freezing..go type in the search bar as suggested by redsoxs and Cuz...

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad you joined us at the Backyard chickens flock

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by