I finally seperated a bunch of my peeps in breeder pens!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sonew123, Jan 10, 2010.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    It's only taken 2 months but I chose cold day like this ( 1 below) to accomplish it!

I have too many roos with my girls so I said enough is enough. I penned 3 roos together ( they get along great) took them out of commision for now. I have 4 breeder pens right now. Had to dig out all the seperate water bowls and food bowls-you know the kind that screw into the sides of the cages and can lift off to clean. I had to find 4 sets-bleached and set up. empty-clean-refill breeding pens with shavings and nest boxes-catch all birds

pen #1 ( been set up for 7 weeks now)
    1 lav silkie roo with 4 black bearded silkie girls

pen #2
    1 black standard cochin roo ( 12 lbs!!!) he's huge-8 months old-so sweet and calm love to be held and have belly rubs
    1 black standard cochin hen
    1 blue standard cochin hen

this is the sweetest group-

pen #3
    3 WC black polish girls
    1 frizzled birchen cochin roo

pen #4
    1 birchen cochin roo -he is also a lover:)
    1 black bearded silkie hen
    1 black frizzled cochin hen
    1 black cochin hen

the rest of the clan is just hanging out with my duck chuckie-he roams free inside the barn/garage with the chickens.

I feel like I accomplished so much today-everyone got cleaned and put where Ive been dying to put them!

I have a favorelle roo-standard black cochin roo ( he's 10lbs and hides from the favorelle because he's another lover not a fighter) and a buff silkie roo ( again not getting much action because the favorelle keeps a keen eye out) in with the other 15 hens that roam around-they dont fight at all I love it-It's so much quieter in there!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. dovecanyon

dovecanyon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    Niland, CA
    Wow! amazing accomplishment in one day. now you can take that long bubble-bath soak and feel proud of yourself.
    Hmmm... just think how much easier it will be to ID all those sweet babies you hatch in the future. Don't even try to deny it! You KNOW you will never get enough of hatching!
    I may eventually have to hit you up for some of your cochin eggs... Nah, I'm all done hatching for a long time. (Ya, right...just like you!)
    Congratulations on a job well done. You have inspired me to get out tomorrow and start on expanding my run, and planning my separate areas too. Thank you.
    Oh, and BTW, congrats on a truly great hatch!!! 20 out of 23! Good for you!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Making me wish I lived on a farm. Ah the possibilities.

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Thank you Grace! I had to do something to take my mind off of that last little silkie in that bator! ahhh...it's still moving around and such-Im so not done hatching DH just hooked up a used monitor in his workshop-which is a huge garage with all the toold a man could possibly want ( he's a contractor) and I was joking with him today and said wow now it has heat I can move my chicks in here in a month until Spring time! He said " yeah hun thats a good idea as long as you dont get out of control!" ahhhh now I have a 3rd hatch in mind mauuuauauuaa... I cant stop, especially since my split lav silkies are starting to give me eggs again-they stopped for almost 2 weeks???

I know you cant see it very well but this is the garage/coop my birds are in right now-we created a thick plastic sheeted wall to heat 1/2 of it for them. My DH's other garage is further up the property. My FIL little sports car is in the other side where the chickens are-I plan on creating it bigger this Spring-4 large breeding rooms with outside runs on the right side and 4 large breeding rooms for the bantams on the other. All breeds will be seperate and pure. This way when Winter comes next year I only have 1 large coop/garage to heat and not 2 or 3 like now. DH said he would even make me a small room for incubating and brooding!!!

We don't have a farm-we have 6 of the most scattered acres around us LOL.. My inlaws live next door ( 8 months out of the year) on another 6 acres so we use that when needed. Now mind you this is all in my head without a dime to start it but we always manage to find a way with extra materials-we both do things the same way-we do it the right way the first time and no cobb jobs. Even if that means only half my evil plans take place this year.. You know I never in a million years thought Id be doing this-with chickens I mean-The harder I work for them the happier I get. There's nothing like walking into your coops and smelling freshness of pine shavings:)

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:LOL...It's not a farm to me-truley it's not the chickens are the only livestock I have besides house pets:) Everyone that knows me or finds out about "the chicken Lady" thinks I have a big farm...I just laugh. I just happen to have a funky piece of land and a VERY sweet DH who helped me by letting me use his other garage for a coop! all though the chickens do free range most of the year without fences-I live in the Adirondacks where there are more trees than houses:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by