1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I finished my Chicken Page! *PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Griffin Nest, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    WARNING: LONG POST [​IMG]

Hi BYC! I just finished my Member page on all my birds! I would appreciate it if you guys could comment ^^ Thank you!
    There are all the birds I've ever hatched. >>Click here for full page<<

Chicken Hatch (Assorted)
    Oct. 24, 2009
    (Incubator #1: 11 eggs set, 8 eggs hatched)

These eggs were from Krazy K Farms.They were the first eggs I hatched in a homemade incubator. 10 out of 11 were fertile. After 2 failed attempts at hatching eggs I finally got a success! This incubator was very stressful to manage because it's thermostat wasn't automatic. For me it was nonstop staring at the incubator.

[​IMG]

Once they hatched they were all over the place. In just one week they outgrew their box brooder! Every time I came in the bathroom (where the brooder was) to feed them mealworms for a treat, they sprung up all over me. I kept them for two weeks until I had to give them away. They're happy in their new farm.

[​IMG]

Duck Hatch (Khaki Campbell)
    May 13, 2010
    (Incubator #2: 13 eggs set, 10 eggs hatched)

These eggs were from Metzer Farms. Probably the best farm I bought eggs from! 13 eggs were sent and all of them were clean, uncracked and fertile. This was my fist time incubating eggs in a fan-forced incubator. The results were pretty much the same. It felt like forever waiting for these babies to hatch. The worst part was that they hatched while I was at school. What quick hatchers!

[​IMG]

Ducklings grow so fast! They outgrew their brooder in four days! Luckily I had their new big brooder waiting for them.They were really messy and even though they had a pool and a special water dispenser, they got both of those dirty. I was practically cleaning them every day. Sadly one passed away because it was weak and there was nothing I could do about it. These ducklings were also sent to the same farm the chickens are at.

[​IMG]

Quail Hatch (Button)
    Aug. 27, 2010
    (Incubator #2: 13 eggs set, 5 hatched)

These eggs were bought from Strombergs. I didn't like it too much. 15 were sent but were packed poorly and incredibly filthy. I used the same fan-forced incubator on these ones since they were so fragile and tiny. Candling was a big waste since you couldn't see anything past day 3. On the 16th night they began to pop out. On the 17th morning the last one hatched, Taquito, who I still have today along with 2 others. Taquito is my favorite.
    [​IMG]
    They didn't outgrow their brooder for 3 weeks! I loved their convenient size. They were like little tiny bugs as chicks! I was going to give them away at a bird exchange but I loved them so much that I kept 3 of the 5. I gave one away to the exchange, but sadly one was killed by my cat. I actually blame myself for keeping him unattended in the house when it was supposed to be in the cage outside.

[​IMG]

Partridge Hatch (Chukar)
    Jun. 4, 2011
    (Incubator #2: 9 eggs set, 4 eggs hatched)

These eggs were from B&D Gamebird Farm. They came nicely packed, but the ride was harsh. Many did not make it past day 3. This was the least stressful hatch because the incubator thermostat was really good this time mainly because I added heat sinks. They worked so well! The chicks took a very long time to hatch. They began on morning 23 and finished near nighttime on day 25.

[​IMG]

They were so cute as chicks! They were as small as bantam chickens. They loved dust bathing and being very loud. This was a summer hatch. Summer hatches are always fun because of no school. After a month I gave them away to the exchange. I actually went to see them in their new home 2 months later and they grew so much!

[​IMG]

Quail Hatch (Button- First batch from my own quail)
    Sept. 10, 2011
    (Incubator #0.5: 10 eggs set, 8 hatched)
    This batch was extremely unexpected. I noticed my quail get off some eggs after 3 days and I candled them and there were chicks inside! I didn't have a working incubator at the time so I used the backup Chickbator. With a LOT of re-furnishing I somehow managed to make the incubator somewhat reliable. There were complications during incubatoin. I had to leave one weekend and I took the entire incubator on a bumpy 2 hour ride! All but 2 survived that ride.

[​IMG]

They hatched right when I got home on a Friday night. The entire experience was thrilling. I have myself a pat on the back for actually hatching something with a $15 ChickBator! They had amazing colors. Some Silvers even had bibs and I had some Blue Faced males in here too. They found good homes very quickly.

[​IMG]

Quail Hatch (Button- Second batch from my own quail)
    Oct. 15, 2011
    (Incubator #0.5: 12 eggs set, 6 eggs hatched)

Not long after the first batch from my quail I decided to collect more of their eggs and hatch them with the Chickbator again. There were no real complications to this batch, but since there were less they were easier to handle. Sadly one out of the 6 passed away not long after hatching. It was a cute color.

[​IMG]

I kept this batch for a very long time. Exactly a year in fact. They were a nice extension to the group, and a perfect alarm clock. I began to notice each of their personalities too. I wish I had given them names. Sadly over the summer, the Wild Type female passed away from being egg bound. This type of thing is just something you have to live with.

[​IMG]

Quail Hatch (Button- Third batch from my own quail)
    Aug. 5, 2012
    (Incubator #Mama hen: 10 eggs laid, 9 eggs hatched)

This batch has quite a story. Over the summer I gave the hens a new nesting box. My quail Doom took a liking to this one and when I came back from my mini vacation I noticed she was sitting on eggs! At first I was going to take them because I know that buttons don't usually stay broody, but this time I decided to see what would happen. They were due to hatch the day I was coming back from Hawaii. The morning after coming back from the airport I looked in and, to my surprise, saw chicks in the nest!

[​IMG]

I was so happy that the eggs made it. I took 2 late eggs and put them in my incubator because mom was busy with the others. Unfortunatly, the mom wasn't too ready for chicks and killed 2 of them. I ended up taking them all in. It was really too bad, but at least I saved 6. I named the 2 late ones Nesquick and Butters,one after chocolate milk mix and the other after a character in my favorite show.

[​IMG]

2. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Awesome Hatches!! Congrats!!! Thank you for sharing!! quail are so cute!!

3. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! [​IMG]

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

5. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    woooah how did you do that [​IMG]

6. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow!! I loved reading this, some of the quails look like like querky penguins..[​IMG]

7. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    thank you so much! [​IMG]

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Incredible!

9. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Whoo-hoo! *Hi-five* :)

10. chika10

chika10 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    i love seeing hatching stories. what did you do to the chick-bator? i might want to do that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by