I FOOLED 'EM !! Just an OLD PLUCKER

tackyrama

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Central Minnesota USA
Well we finally had a nice enough day (low 30s) last week so we butchered 7 birds. There were some tree trimmers working close by that were keeping an eye on the goin's on. I had the hot water outside of the coop but did the plucking right inside the door. The next day one of the guys walked over when I was feeding the chickens and asked to see my chicken plucker. Hah! I held up my two hands and said "You're Lookin' at 'em" He just couldn't believe I got done so fast!
How fast you say? We did 7 birds in just over 2 1/2 hours - in the brine. I don't know how fast you all get em done but I thought we did OK.

That's great especially without a plucker. Before I got a plucker I was doing like 4-5 per hour, which is killed - plucked- eviscirated- and chilled.

Now it's like 20 birds per hour with my little table top plucker. We have outgrown it but I'm still holding off on that $2,500 investment.

Have you ate one yet?

The skin is the best part...
barnie.gif
also the worst part for your body....

If I don't have a bird with a lot of pin feathers I can pluck pretty well. If I am doing a big batch I find I end up skinning half of them to save on time.

I bought a drill plucker but don't care for it... makes more of a mess than anything else in my opinon !!!

smile.png

Quote:
Yes, we did 5 last fall and they were great. We didn't get these done on time and as a result they were already mating age. We already tried one of the last batch and I tought it tasted strong but edible. My DW said she didn't notice it, maybe just me. If the next tastes strong they will still make good home made soup.

That is SUPER fast! I did 6 last fall and it took me 3 hours!
I have a very mechanically inclined neighbor talked into building a plucker for me if I do his birds too!

I don't mind butchering it is the darn plucking that I HATE!!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom