I forgot how long my eggs have been incubating.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sjaved789, Feb 17, 2014.

1. sjaved789

sjaved789 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    London City
    Hi
    Yes I know what you're thinking " what an idiot" and the truth if you are probably right. I have an excuse if you really want to know how such stupidity was possible, but I'm sure you dont ;).Does anyone know how to roughly guesstimate? Thanks

2. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    If you think they are close to hatching, say at least day 12 or so, I would just raise the humidity and stop turning them. They should be fine. You can candle them and see if all the eggs are completely dark, that would let you know that the chicks are most likely fully formed.
    I have to put a reminder on my phone, or I will forget.

Chicken-Farmer

3. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City

Hmm I see. I did candle them and all of them were black for the first time and my luck I don’t know what day this batch is on. I am going for a 100% lets see but I feel like I am shooting in the dark.

4. Chicken-Farmer

Chicken-Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Turning them until they hatch isn't going to hurt them. Having too little of humidity during the hatch will. If they are close to hatching, and I say that they are if the eggs are black when candles, get that humidity up to about 70% and sit back and wait.
    Every hatch is an experiment and a learning lesson. My girls laying started to slow down due to a couple cold snaps we had. I had about 50 eggs in the refrigerator and just for grins put them into the incubator to see what would happen. I candled them yesterday, after 1 week , and I have about 15 eggs that are developing, the rest appear to be clears, but it will check them again next week before lockdown. I knew most of them would not hatch, but as an experiment I had to try it out. Thankfully egg production is getting back to normal as the weather warms up.

Chicken-Farmer

5. sjaved789

Jan 9, 2014
    London City
    Thanks! Lol yes I stick everything I think I can incubate into my incubator to experiment.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by