I found 1 of my 6 chickens dead, now worried about the rest

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newbie chicken mommy, May 13, 2010.

1. newbie chicken mommy

newbie chicken mommy New Egg

May 13, 2010
    I just got 6 chickens on the 2nd and all has been fine until today. This morning when I went to greet my ladies, my silver laced wyandotte was laying by herself under one of the trees in the outside part of thier coop. She seemed sad so I was going to check back on her in the afternoon after my kids where down for thier nap. When I went out, she had just passed away. I looked her over and everything seemed normal. No lumps, eyes looked normal, no discharge from mouth or nose, vent looked normal, and her legs looked normal. I have noticed NO other symptoms other than she seemed sad and was by herself, which she normally was with the group.

I'm now totally freaked out that I'm going to loose the rest of the flock. Any suggestions of what to look for or what I might have done? I'm totally new at this so I can use all the advise you can give.

Thanks so much!

Nichole

Mom of 4, (1 daughter 17 & 3 sons, 2,4 and 6) a Golden Retriever, a Mastiff, 2 goats and now, 5 chickens [​IMG] Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Americauna, Gold Sexlink and a Black Copper Maran.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello-

Sometimes this does happen and you never really know the reason. Perhaps she had a heart attack or a stroke.......I'm sorry for your loss. Do you know how old your chicken was? Could it have been old age?

If you don't see any signs of an illness, all I can advise is that you keep a very close eye on the others.....maybe sit a spell and watch them, and listen to them......keep an eye and an ear out for any signs of a respiratory problem......they others may be just fine.

Sometimes these mysterious deaths to occur.

Sincerely,
    Sharon

3. NurseELB

NurseELB Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2008
    Lacey, WA
    WOW. I don't know what happened, but I am REALLY sorry for your loss, and I hope the rest are okay...[​IMG]

4. newbie chicken mommy

newbie chicken mommy New Egg

May 13, 2010
    They are a little over 3 months old. I did a quick check of the other ladies as well, after I took care of our departed one and they all seem totally fine. I checked all the same things that I did with the wyandotte and nothing is throwing up flags, but as I said, I'm totally new at this. I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything. Do you think this could have been Marek's disease? That seems to be the only known cause that I can come up with, with so little symptoms.

Nichole

5. Hens4Fun

Hens4Fun Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Sacramento, California
    [​IMG] I had a Rhode Island Red die at less than a year. Perfectly healthy (or so it seemed) until the day I found her laying in the coop dead. No marks or anything. Just as if she had lay down and gone to sleep. The rest lived normal lives and I never did know the reason the one had died [​IMG]

6. markb816

markb816 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    No advice, besides what other people have posted, but I am sorry to hear about your loss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by