I found a baby bird. Is dumour chick starter safe for him?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fushalilly, Jun 5, 2008.

1. fushalilly

fushalilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Last night, I walked outside in the rain to let my dogs go to the bathroom, and a baby bird hopped on by. It had some feathers, not that much though, so it had no rain protection yet and it was COLD.

I called a 24hour emergency vet and he told me to put it in a shoebox with fuzzy towels or facecloths in it and leave it open outside beneath the nest. I did this and the next morning he was still there, happy as a clam, but HUNGRY!

I got some Dumour chick starter from my baby's and mixed it with warm water until it was muchy and fluid. I got a syringe and gave the baby bird a very small amount. He kept opening his mouth like he wanted more but I didnt know if it was safe for him.

Is DuMour chick starter safe for a baby bird? He is still outside now in a little nest I made him on the ground.

2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    I'm not sure about the chick starter. You can try softened dry dog or cat food if you have any. I used it with a batch of sparrows. They all made it. Hope this helps.

3. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    How big is it? Is it a fledgling, already feathered out? Either way it is probably not going to eat starter. You need to get some canned cat food, water down a bit, and fill a syringe (no needle, of course) with it. Then squeeze a little in his mouth when he opens. If you don't have a syringe, you can try tweezers. Be sure and place the food behind his craw...the opening you'll see. Don't give water...you could drown him, just add it to the food.

When birds fledge the mother kicks them out the nest, but still hangs around to feed it and protect it until i can fly off. If your's is feathered this is whats happened. If it is a nestling that fell out accidentally it will look like a little alien and be pretty helpless.

You need to also put a hotwater bottle, or heating pad on low under the towels. Be sure and wash your hands careful after handling this bird and before handling your chickens.

Good Luck. I've raised many birds...let me know if I can help you any.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I raised a robin, a starling and a mourning dove from fuzz state to flying away on their own.

Find a place that sells parrot supplies and look for the baby parrot feeding formula and mix it well, feed with a syringe about every 2 hours. You can also buy the monkey biscuits and wet them down to feed it too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by