I found a baby duck... what do they eat ?? does someone want it ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sandrameissnest, Nov 30, 2013.

1. sandrameissnest

sandrameissnest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    hello ,
    yesterday i found a baby duck- it tryed walking towards the busy main street.
    so i had to save it ! i looked for the mother , but she was not around since it gotten already late, there was another duck mama with some babies but there were bigger ( the what i found is like1-2 weeks old ) i tryed that the other mother would exept that little baby but.. no ! she and the other bigger babies were picking at that little one.
    so i saved it- and took it home - it has a heating lamp some chicken food ( cracked corn ) and pellets but its not showing so much intresset in it. ( i have 2 year old chickens )
    also its drinking water.
    is there anything what i can give her to eat ?? i will try to find the mother so that i can give her back.
    if i dont find her... maybe i can find some mama duck here at the lake where i live what has babies in the same size, i guess if that doesnt work out i will raise it until its big enough to let go !
    or if someone from you guys raises Ducks and what a super cute ducking let me know ( but not to eat ) !!!
    i will in south florida close to west palm beach
    thanks for your help

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i know absolutely nothing about ducks but i remember throwing little pieces of bread to them at the lakes. i dont think any mommy would take it, they know its not theirs. if they eat fish i wonder if it would take a little tuna? i do know you cant leave tiny ones with the water 24/7 they can drown and chill too much

3. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    she has a water dish , they do need to drink ;) but she is not going in it ! its to small anyway.
    i will wait maybe someone here will let me know thanks for your help

4. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    what help? hahah think its cool though. i want one!!!!

5. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    You can get a small bag of unmedicated chick starter (sounds like it needs much smaller feed than what you have), but large co-op brand bag probly as cheap or less. lol. try putting small amount of apple cider vinager in drinking water to get it interested and to perk up. make sure it can stick its whole head down and in water to clean face out so doesn't choke, but cannot fit body in to try to play as mothers coat them with their water proofing oil till baby ducks can oil selves with own later after all feathers come in. put a small stuffed animal in by it at least for company (or get another duck. lol), as then it'll perk up more and act more normal. at least they grow really quick so you have maybe a month of caring for it probly only. good job rescuing it. pics? check the "were am i were are you" threads for others close to you who maybe able to help you out one way or another. goodluck!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  6. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    thanks so much !
    i will get some pics tomorrow.
    i have some cracked corn , so i cracked it even more.. so let see- i also chop some fresh carrots ( super super tiny ) in the food processor.
    its tired because its late- so lets hope it will eat some more tomorrow. i put also some ( premium craft stuffing for bear making ) in there so it can cuddle up. :) i will do the toy :) thanks
    i will also check the where am i and where are you thread !
    thanks sandra

7. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

Hi!
    I don't know much about raising ducklings, but get the unmedicated chick starter! For sure. Also, someone else said give it bread....don't!! It is not good for them, and can impact their croup. Also, this person has a great duckling waterer! : https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/duck-raisinghousing

Best of luck-and I hope some other experienced duckling people weigh in! :)

8. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    it was me[​IMG]am i killing ducks? i only remember doing that at the lake

9. shannondee12

shannondee12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Left Hand, WV
    I got my ducklings at one day old. I only have 4 but from day 3-4, mine had some fresh veggies everyday. Their favorite is tomato and grapes. When they were little, I peeled them and chopped them tiny but now i just chop it in chunks and they go crazy! I did have one that was an age difference so it was by itself in the brooder while the others were big and outside. It was very lonely and bonded to my daughter until the other ducks accepted it into the group.

10. sandrameissnest

Feb 16, 2012
    yeah that is my concern- i dont want that it will get attached to me, since i cant keep him or her forever... - 1-2 month ok but when its big i just cant keep it- we are middle in moving. and
    its not possible:(
    i will try tomatos... i tryed the carrots but no luck also no luck on green beans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by