I found a Chicken.. What do I do?

Ansleigh

In the Brooder
Oct 19, 2017
Alabama
So my brother went outside this morning and saw a Rhode Island Red ( We are guessing) in my front yard. It looks like someone might have dropped her off but we are not sure yet. I have chickens at my other place and this chicken, who is a hen, sounds like she is calling out for her other chickens. I’m not sure if she is but can someone tell me if she really is. She also is currently in my house because it’s very cold outside. . image.jpg

She is a Red Sex Link, also known as Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, etc.

Looks like she's in good shape too. You could ask around your area and see if anybody lost a hen, or just keep her in quarantine for a while then put her with your flock. If you don't want to keep her, then find another home. Chickens are flock animals and don't like to be alone.

Hoping for the best!

So my brother went outside this morning and saw a Rhode Island Red ( We are guessing) in my front yard. It looks like someone might have dropped her off but we are not sure yet. I have chickens at my other place and this chicken, who is a hen, sounds like she is calling out for her other chickens. I’m not sure if she is but can someone tell me if she really is. She also is currently in my house because it’s very cold outside. .View attachment 1164069

Do you have a local SPCA or Humane Society you can call to at least report her missing, in case someone is looking for her? No one nearby that you know of has chickens that she could have escaped? Most human societies and SPCAs will take in lost chickens and care for her too if you can't ..May want to call them first? They can probably also give you advice ? Good luck! ... lol She looks so confused, cute photo <3

Here we have a social media group called nextdoor.com
Neighbors post about missing things all the time. Once there was a found chicken on it.

Worth a shot!

Give her a thorough exam for any wounds or external parasites that may be hidden by feathers. Advertise that you've found her. If you don't want to keep her, then give her to someone who can provide a good home for her. Wishing you the best. There may be other flock members lurking around, especially if she was run away from home by a predator.

Thanks for the responses, I found where she lived, the owner wasn’t home but a neighbor said that was most likely his. We dropped her in her pen but the rooster kind of attacked and chased her but finally stopped, later that day she came back but unfortunately I couldn’t catch her... I think she went back. Not sure what I’m going to do if she comes back.

Back
Top Bottom