i found a rooster and i have a question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by peep this, Sep 30, 2010.

1. peep this

peep this Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2010
    will all roosters crow? he seems to not be very domminant and hes hurt. i just would like to know he hasn't crowed yet and once he dose he has to move away.

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I've never had a rooster that didn't crow, but some do crow less than others.

3. itsmyobsession

itsmyobsession Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Georgia
    I have 2 that NEVER crow but it is becasue they are not the head rooster so they just quietly sit back and watch the boys higher up the pecking order chain crow there heads off.

4. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Itsmyobsession;

Love the picture of your dachshunds! Is the black & tan one a senior citizen because I see a little grey around its muzzle. Beautiful dogs [​IMG]

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:You mentioned that he is hurt and that is probably why he isn't crowing. If he is the only roo that you have, he will start once he heals up and starts to establish his dominance. A wounded roo doesn't crow because that vocalization is his way of letting everyone know he is the "cock of the walk". He doesn't want to do that if he is wounded and doesn't feel like he can take on all challengers. I suspect he will start to crow once he is feeling stronger.

6. peep this

Mar 13, 2010
    is there anyway we can try and make it so he wont crow? any way we can have him stay?

7. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Quote:Outside of taking him to the vet and having his vocal chords cut? Probably not.

8. peep this

Mar 13, 2010
    ok well thank you very much well hope he dosnt crow
    -peep

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by