I found a rubbery empty shell - my chickens ate it!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by GoChick, Jan 23, 2011.

1. GoChick

GoChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    I was all proud of the hard shell eggs my Barred Plymouth Rock started laying until this morning, when I found an empty rubbery egg shell in the coop. Now I'm totally freaking out that one of the others laid a rubbery shell and they ate it. Which means I may have to cull the culprit? Or could it be that once whoever laid the rubbery starts laying hard shell ones they won't eat it? Has anybody seen this kind of behavior before? I can't even begin to think of having to cull one of my fuzzbutts. I did not see any one of them with yolk smeared in their beaks. Could it be that a squirrel ate it instead? I've seen a squirrel coming out of the coop some days ago, and the rubbery shell is probably 4 or 5 days old. It was pretty dried out.

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Once and a while one of my hens lay a rubber egg, it is usually one that just got laid prematurely for whatever reason. When one of my other hens goes in the nest to lay, it usually breaks and they will eat it if I don't get to it first, I think they are just cleaning the nest so they can lay. I have also caught them eating a broken egg if it is in the nest they want to lay in. None of my girls have turned into egg eaters, they just seem to be "good housekeepers". I would keep an eye on them but you will probably not need to cull. This is just my limited experience [​IMG]

3. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    I would not worry about it. You will find your chickens laying those once in a while plus really large and really small eggs. It happens to everyone. Perfectly normal.

4. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    Thanks both!! I'll just keep an eye on them!!!

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have had that happen. I actually caught 1 the other day eating a rubbery egg. Mine lay theirs on the ground. I tried to get it but they were quicker. But as far as the regular eggs they never bother. Good luck

6. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    If you find that they are pecking hard shelled eggs once they are regularly laying those, put a golf ball in the nests. That's what I did, when some of my new layers started pecking at the hard shelled eggs (they went for a couple weeks laying witches eggs) Once the golf balls were in their nests, they not only encouraged my free range chickens to lay in the nests I wanted them to, but once they tested with a few pecks, they stopped pecking all together. [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I find a partly eaten egg or an empty shell now and then. Evidently they can eat a raw egg now and then without turning into rabid egg eaters. I think mine sometimes have broken one out of clumsiness then eaten it.

8. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Quote:I agree. ALL of my chickens have had raw egg at one time or another from a broken egg (intentional or otherwise) in the nest. None of them became eggs eaters, which a lot of people will tell you they will do. A lot of my eggs initially were broken accidentally, I think, because they were witches eggs (no shell just the membrane) or had thin shells. Then they got curious and started pecking. I don't think it was because they had developed a taste for eggs, I think they just pecked too hard, and the shells were thinner because everyone was new to laying and still developing. They stopped trying out shells once the golf balls were in place though.

9. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    Thanks for all the replies - I feel much better now!

Since I've posted, two more of my girls started laying pretty, hard shell eggs!! and no egg eating so far!

Life is GOOD!!!

:)

10. GoChick

Sep 16, 2010
    Oh - and I followed the advice and put some golf balls in the nest, maybe this also helped!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by