I found a Turkey egg !!!!

FLOWERPOT

Songster
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Southern Indiana
I found a Turkey Egg !!!!!!

I thought that Turkeys wouldnt lay till spring??
Or is it that they wont mate till spring.....

My 2 Turkey hens are 7 months old and the egg I found in the coop today has to be a Turkey egg, It is somewhat larger than my biggest chicken eggs and it is light cream color with darker brown specks all over it.
I dont have any batteries in my camera right now, so I cant take a pic, But I googled turkey egg pics, and it looks just like them!!!

Im just so excited, Im glad I got a Tom for the hens a couple weeks ago!

Cool, Flowerpot! I remember your turkeys' pictures sitting on the fence. I wonder which one layed the egg - do you know? I have quite a few things laying eggs so if I had a turkey egg, which is possible because I suppose the oldest are old enough, I probably wouldn't recognize it from a goose egg, which I do get.

Wow! I thought they wouldn't lay till spring either! Plus I was told they layed their first egg around 9-10 months, so you are lucky in two ways! What kind are they?

I think it was Cody, The Jersey Buff, because I have seen her laying in the area that is one of the favorite spots of the chicken hens. Thats where I found the egg.
And she seems to think I am her Tom. She is always coming up to me and laying down wherever I am for me to pet her.
Zack is a girl too, but we dont want to change her name. LOL
I havent seen her laying down anywhere other than the roost.
So I dont believe it is her, Zack is a Narriganset.

Thanks for the reply! Do you have plans - I guess you do if you have a Tom now! - of raising some babies, like, with the eggs you're finding? Cody is a pretty "lady" - of course they both are. What kind of Tom do you have?

I love my turkeys. I think of all the birds I have, they are the ones who see the most human and the most cognitive. I can spend time with them and be thoroughly entertained even if they're just hanging around the roost trying to call it a night.

Congrats on your turkey egg
yippiechickie.gif

I just thought it was so cool! I got all excited.
I have 1 Jersey buff hen 1 Narri hen and Just got a Black Spanish Tom a couple weeks ago from a BYCer.

Dumb Question but...Do Turkeys go Broody? Or will I have to stick the eggs under a Chicken Hen? Not planning to have any baby turkeys till spring though. The tom isnt old enough I dont think yet anyway. Im guessing he is a couple months younger than the hens, so Ill guess aroung 4-5 months old.

The heritage breeds will definitely brood their young, but you will need to put some kind of solid wall around the pen that mama is in. She will pace back and forth if she can see out and trample the babies. But a chicken can hatch them as well. If you want to get a lot of turkey eggs, I would take them away and hatch them yourself, or with a hen.

Back
Top Bottom