i found an egg on the ground early this morning...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by boykin2010, Nov 9, 2010.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    i walked outside early this morning and most of the chickens was awake. to my surprise i saw a steaming egg laying in the grass in the run. i have never had this happen before and i have never gotten an egg that looks like this. it is a very very very pale brown i thought it was white at fist. it had just been layed because it was kinda wet and steaming when i found it. why would my chickens lay it on the ground when they have nestin boxes. it may have been my black australorp pullet. i dont think she is old enough to lay but maybe i think she is 5 months give or take a few weeks. do you think it could have been an unexperienced pullet that layed it in the grass. i know she was standing around the egg when i picked it up.

2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    yes it could be that. I have a hen that will not let other hens lay in the nest boxes so the one hen that always lays at the same time will sometimes lay on the floor. I add more nest boxes and still found a egg on the floor. With that said all the next boxes had a egg in it this am. They are young layers too. So it may be a lot more to do with it. Mine that lays on the floor is low in the pecking order. hope you can figure out why and who. Best of luck!

3. LivinNewDreamInND

LivinNewDreamInND Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    My pullets just started laying a couple of weeks ago. One day a Buff Orpington ran out of the pop door a little to soon and she squatted and layed an egg right in front of me. She looked just as surprised as I was. I found 2 other eggs in the run before they all figured out that eggs go in the nesting boxes. One of your young girls is probably just figuring things out.

4. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I think probably is that pullet. If the others use the box, so will she just takes time.

5. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    dont you think that 5 months is a little early for her to start laying tho? i am new to chickens but i thought it took 6 or 7 months to get them to lay eggs.

also my silkie sleeps in 1 of the 3 nesting boxes and she was in there this morning when i found the egg. could this have been the problem

6. The Fairy Godmartyr

The Fairy Godmartyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Quote:It depends on the breed, but a lot of them start laying at 16-20 weeks (four to five months).

Two of my chickens have started laying (they all hatched June 14). With both of them, the first egg was on the floor. After that, they went into the nest boxes. I think they just don't realize what is going on that first time.

Congratulations on what appears to be a new layer!

7. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    ok thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by