I found him hanging....pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Terri O, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Terri O

Terri O Chillin' With My Peeps

by his spur 2 days ago in my bachelor pad. This is one of my best roos so I have brought him inside because he cant seem to stay upright. He lays like this:

[​IMG]

I have tried to feel if his legs are broken (they arent) I thought dislocated but I dont feel that either. Do you think he could have broken his pelvis? I have manipulated it and nothing seems amiss. I made him this emergency chicken chair:
    [​IMG]

Do you think it will help him? I am planning on suspending the box from the top of a dog kennel and moving his legs daily. He is eating and drinking and seems otherwise alert. Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions? I greatly appreciate it! Terri O

2. Tracyfeltsmills

Tracyfeltsmills Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Oh my sorry no ideas but poor thing!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Gosh I sure hope he heals up. Wish I could help

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I would think he has some serious hyperextended tendon pain. Or even a green stick fracture. Time may be the best medicine.
    poor guy.

5. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Buy a dog toenail cutter and trim the spur back to about 1/2" and you will not have this problem again. Don

6. Terri O

Kind of what I was thinking about the tendons...I hope I can keep him comfortable enough until he can get back "into shape!"
    Do tendons repair themselves? Terri O

7. Terri O

Quote:I did trim the spurs about a half inch back and quicked both of them. I put cornstarch on to stop the bleeding...believe me I will be trimming all the boys tomorrow! T

8. viktoriacl

viktoriacl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Do you think he could have a back injury? Can he feel his feet? Does he move any part of his lower extremities? Maybe paralysis [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He is probably suffering from muscle and tendon strain. I'm guessing that he will recover, but it will take a while.

10. snowbird

snowbird Overrun With Chickens

May 28, 2010
    Wolverine Country
    Quote:I did trim the spurs about a half inch back and quicked both of them. I put cornstarch on to stop the bleeding...believe me I will be trimming all the boys tomorrow! T

Something that works better than Starch is Chalk stick, you can use it over and over. Don

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by