i found him in the middle of the road

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by silkielover5, Sep 26, 2011.

1. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    kay so last year i found this rooster in the middle of a road drinking from a puddle, i chased him through the woods and caught him. he was missing 3 toes and was having a hard time walking slowly he got better and stronger. now hes living with my neigber and her 4 hens. does anyone have an idea what he could be, most likely a cross but with what?!?
    [​IMG]

2. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm seeing barring, so there's probably some Barred Rock or Cuckoo Maran in there somewhere.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Since he has yellow legs I would say probably a BR cross. Is his comb straight or rose? It kind of looks like a cross between the two.

Looking at the pics again, I wonder if it's a buttercup comb?

4. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Very nice of you to rescue him and for your neighbor to give him a home. I would say same thing either Barred Rock or Cuckoo Maran. The other thought was he has some funky breeding where he has a Crele OEGB gene in there.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Not OEGB, crele can be on any breed. Probably a RIR and BR cross.

6. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    he has something like a buttercup comb where it looks like 2 combs squashed togther. i would have kept him but my silkie rooster almost killed him like blood was everywhere so i figured it would be better if he went to my neighbers house

7. Zonoma

Zonoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Northern Kentucky
    Where do you live? I want to come there and randomly find handsome roosters by the side of the road- esp ones who let me catch them!

8. silkielover5

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    Quote:Hudson WI there are lots of chickens on the side of roads this is farm country [​IMG]

9. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    He looks like a rooster that went through h***. At least he's safe now. [​IMG]

10. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say barred rock cross. I noticed that he had white ear lobes and blue in his tail.So my guess is there is brown leghorn and blue andalusian in the mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by