I found my Black Jersey Hen butchered by my roosters tonight!

coowella

Hatching
11 Years
Jan 31, 2008
I have a 9 month old Black Jersey Hen about 5-6 lbs her back and sides under her wings are just mutilated...holes through the skin... open wounds she is a mess I am almost afraid to touch her that I may be causing more pain.
I have taken her inside she is in the basement were it is warm I gave her water and put a powdered vitamin supplement in it for now...she has not drank anything she is in roosting mode...I do not have any saline solution to clean her with I started to spray her back with the blue spray but I only got a little on her when I noticed that it was really bad she was under a red heat bulb in the coop it did not look bad until I brought her out into the light.
Please Help
also her head and comb are bloody
Candy

Let her rest and she may look a whole lot better in the morning. I think if you just clean her up with warm water and then apply antibiotic ointment in the morning and watch her for a few days, you will be surprised at how much she will improve.

Hang in there.

Last edited:
Clean her up. Flush the wounds with saline or iodine/water solution. Put antibiotic ointment (neosporin) on the wounds. Put her in a quiet dark place. Offer her food and fresh water with raw apple cidar vinegar. You can give her polyvisol baby vitamins or get some avia charge type vitamin mix for her water to help boost her immune system. You can offer yogurt for probiotics. Also give her meat protein to help heal and give her strength. Keep her warm and quiet. If there is a vet that will see her take her to the vet. If not keep her out of the coop and in a pen alone until she is healed.

If she was in a coop with more than 1 roo then they have all been using her for what roos do. Their feet and spurs will tear a hen to ribbons. they also are merciless about grabbing the backs of the head or the combs when they mount the hens.

You will have to get rid of some roos or the same will happen again or you may find them fighting and blood shed all over the coop.

Roosters are gorgeous to look at but they are also aggressive and programed by nature with certain behaviors we can't get out of them. This is the result of some of that natural instinct to mate or to fight over what is being mated with.

if you don't have any betadine, iodine or saline solution on hand..you can make some saline solution until you are able to get some betadine.

iodine or betadine "tea" should be somewhat weakened by mixing with sterile (boiled) water)

1 quart of water to 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
boil for 5 minutes. cool.

dab either solution gently using soft gauze.

see if any injuries look very deep or need stitches.
if you could post a pic that might help.

might be a good idea to check your roos nails and spurs and see if they need trimmed and/or dulled.
nail trimmers for dogs can be used, and a Drummel type tool works well.

follow other suggestions by Miss Prissy.

Back
Top Bottom