I found my chicken dead

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by roxyanddutches, Mar 5, 2014.

1. roxyanddutches

roxyanddutches Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    Florida
    Today my chicken died. I have had her for about 4 months. I only have two chickens so this is devesttating. I went to feed and give them water this morning and jane was lying dead.

This is my coop I know it is small but only for 2 chickens and is in a neighborhood. I found jane on the top section with no visible injuries. At first I didn't know what was wrong with her so I picked her up and she was hard as a rock. They have been eating and drinking normally. This weekend she was acting a little strange. She was lying on her side with her wing in a strange positron. That is the same position that I found her this morning. Right now dutches, my other bird is puffing up her feathers and shaking her head. Please help I love my birds and would hate to see another one pass. What could have caused this? Is my other chicken in danger? Please help!!!!

2. hannahrachel

hannahrachel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2013
    Kansas
    It could be mareks, from the description you gave. Could you describe a little better how the hen was handling her wing? Did she seem injured, and did she seem sick, or just tired?

I'm very sorry about the loss of your chicken :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by