1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I found some kind of worms in my chicken scat, don't know what kind. Can I just order a broad spect

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by John Knight, Jan 18, 2018.

1. John Knight

John Knight Chirping

Aug 29, 2017
    Brtoadspectrum dewormed or I need to tak down the type of worm and buy dewormed specific to it?

2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging 8 Years

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Just get Safeguard, It will take care of all species. You can probably get it at Walmart in the pet section.

3. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What did the worm look like? How many chickens do you have? Do you want to worm them one-by-one orally or do you want something that you can put in their water?

John Knight, Farmer Connie and Hamiam like this.
  4. happyfrenchman

happyfrenchman Songster 9 Years

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    Go to your local feed store and get Wazine or some other form of Piperazine. Tell the feed store people what you are doing. They will likely give you Wazine. It is a broad, poultry friendly medication that is easily given in their water and is effective. It is for chickens. It has very clear dosing instructions for chickens. You dont have to know what kind of worm. It kills them all.

John Knight likes this.
  5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Actually, Wazine (piperazine) does not kill all worms, it kills only large roundworms.

6. happyfrenchman

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    What kind of worms do you think chickens usually have?

John Knight likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Cecal worms, tapeworms, capillary worm, and roundworms.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Roundworms and tapes are the only ones we ever see because they are quite large.

9. orrpeople

orrpeople Hopping...a lot Premium Member

Jun 15, 2016
    State of Jefferson
    I'd be interested in a picture or a good description of what you found.
    Chickens can get all manner of parasites because they spend the majority of their time eating off of and wallowing in the ground. :)

10. SonoranChick

SonoranChick Crowing

Aug 31, 2014
    Southern AZ
    Tapeworms will not be killed by wazine unfortunately. Luckily, tapes are rare. I agree with the above advice to nail down what worm you are dealing with before treating. No use in treating and going through egg withdrawal if it's not even killing the problem. Good luck, keep us posted.

John Knight and casportpony like this.
  11. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I think this is a pretty thorough list:

http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2655&Itemid=2933
    • «$» to «$$$$$» indicates the magnitude of the economic damage on poultry caused by a parasite on a worldwide basis. The more «$», the higher the damage.
    • «R» to «RRRRR» indicates the magnitude of the resistance problems of these parasites to parasiticides on a worldwide basis. The more «, the higher the risk of resistance.

Internal parasites (endoparasites, worms, helminths)
    Roundworms (nematodes)
    • Acuaria spp ~ Dispharynx ~ Synhimanthus spp. $. Gizzard worms. Gizzard, esophagus and proventriculus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in birds kept outdoors.
    • Ascaridia spp. $$$. Chicken roundworms. Small intestine. A serious problem worldwide, also in confined operations.
    • Capillaria spp. $$. Hairworms. Crop, esophagus, small intestine, large intestine.
    • Heterakis spp. $$$$. Cecal worms. Cecum. Probably the most threatening worms in all kind of poultry operations worldwide.
    • Oxyspirura spp. $. Fowl eyeworms. Eyes. Usually a secondary problem in individual birds kept outdoors.
    • Strongyloides spp. $$. Threadworms, pinworms. Small intestine. Can be a serious problem worldwide.
    • Subulura spp. $. Cecum and small intestine. A secondary problem in birds kept outdoors worldwide.
    • Syngamus trachea. $$. Gapeworms. Trachea, bronchi. A serious problem in birds kept outdoors in endemicregions.
    • Tetrameres spp. $. Proventriculus and esophagus. Can be a problem in endemic regions, mainly in outdoor opertaions.
    Tapeworms (cestodes)
    • Amoebotaenia cuneata = sphenoides. $. Small intestine. Usually a secondary issue in most poultry operations
    • Choanotaenia infundibulum. $. Small intestine. Usually not a major issue in modern poultry operations.
    • Davainea proglottina. $. Minute tapeworms. Small intestine. Can be a problem in birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.
    • Raillietina spp. $$. Small intestine. The most frequent tapeworm in poultry, however normally not a major problem.
    Flukes (trematodes, flatworms)
    • Prosthogonimus spp. $. Oviduct flukes. Oviduct, bursa of Fabricius. Can be a serious threat for birds kept outdoors in endemic regions.

12. happyfrenchman

Dec 20, 2008
    Central Ga.
    I think that is excessive. Of course, I have never spent money on a fecal smear either. I am not looking too closely for tapeworms although I highly doubt it. Gapeworm is treated with Ivermectin but gapeworm is also not noticeable. This guy said his chickens have worms. That means he sees worms in the droppings. i

John Knight likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: