I found.... something poultry

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FourFussyHens, Apr 28, 2008.

1. FourFussyHens

FourFussyHens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2008
    My job is driving railroad crews around. Last night about 2 a.m., I'm waiting while a crew member works some switches to divert an oncoming train onto a spur line, in a wild area (bears, cougars have been seen) in the middle of a farming area. After the train goes by, the crew guy resets the switches and comes back to the van cupping something in his hands. He opens his hands and says, "He burst out of the bushes and started following me, peeping".

With my keen eye for detail [​IMG] I've determined it is either a duck or a goose, based on the flat beak. It's all downy, but quite large, not like a chicken chick. The top of his back is maybe 5" above the floor, and he's yellow mottled with a darker color. I'm taking it to a friend who can hopefully, at least tell me if it's a duck or goose. I don't know if it's domestic or wild (a lot of Canadian geese around here).

What do I feed it? Do they have parasites (etc) that could be a danger to my hens? I can't turn it loose by a pond when it's still downy, can I?

I really don't need this...

Any assistance or thoughts are very welcome.

Sue

2. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    Where are you??? I wanna duck!!!

*is going through some serious mental turmoil right now*

~Jessica, you CANNOT get a duck!~ ~OH YES I CAN!!~ ~But you don't have a pond~ ~Right, well.... I WANNA GOOSE!~ [​IMG]

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You may want to go to those bushes and see if you see a next or a mom. If not try feeding starter feed for your local farm store. Can you post a pic???

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Sounds like a goose, to me. If you do find the nest, don't put it back. If it imprinted on people then it won't do well with the momma. Same is true for ducklings.

Treat it like a chick as far as teaching it about feed & water.

5. FourFussyHens

Feb 10, 2008
    Sorry, no photo capability.

I was outside Centralia, WA, at the time.

The crew guy said they've seen ducks/geese (he knows less than me) there before, as there is a small river. The mothers will lead her babies to the water, but sometimes they have to go over the RR tracks, and some of the youngsters can't get over the rails. Mom doesn't seem to notice. They've caught some and sent them on their way, but couldn't catch others.

I was in the same place yesterday morning, and walked down to the river to look for tracks, looking around all the time, and never saw/heard a nest or any birds.

I put him in a box I had in the van, and got him home an hour later, but there wasn't a single poop in the box, so I am assuming that he was 'lost' for a while and hadn't eaten. That would probably also explain his friendliness (desperation).

Well, off to my friend to see if she can identify him. The species, anyway.

Sue

6. M.J

M.J Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Maryland
    when you find out what it is let us know

7. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    I would inquire at places like your local feed store, small stores which buy eggs from locals to sell etc., and see if they know of anyone who would like to take him/her on and raise them, if you will end up stuck anyway. There might be someone very enthusiastic to help you out! [​IMG]

8. FourFussyHens

Feb 10, 2008
    Okay, my friend says it's a mallard duckling, about a week old.

She said she will raise it, as it doesn't look injured or sick. She got it started eating, and when I left her place, it was under a lamp and grooming itself, looking much more comfortable than it did earlier.

She says she has raised orphaned mallards before, and one day a flock comes by and the youngster just flies off with them.

My cats are VERY disappointed.

Sue

9. Tutter

Tutter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    I'm so glad! Thanks for letting us know. [​IMG] (Maybe a little catnip will make it up to the cats.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by