1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Found The BEST Coop Waterproofing Caulk/Sealer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by goldtopper, May 9, 2011.

1. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    I had some joint issues with my nest box. I used silicon that says "no shrink". BS! No matter how much I used, it always shrunk away leaving small cracks for the water to find a way in.
    Then I found TremSeal. It's a rubberized sealant normally used in roofing operations and made by Tremco. I used it all along the seams, around the tops of nails and screws and wow, does it work. It stays somewhat pliable, yet seals completely. I put it on yesterday morning and it rained lightly yesterday afternoon. No leaks, 100% adherence. Good stuff!

2. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    great tip, thanks for this one

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Uh.

If you mean the black rubberized-type roofing cement/patch stuff, it only stays like that for a few years IME, at least if exposed to the elements.

Then it gets stiff and shrinks and you have cracks that water gets in. And it is not easy to remove, at that point, to put new stuff on.

It also is pretty fume-y stuff, and easily peckable by chickens so I would not want it anywhere they could concievably access it.

If you are having problems with silicone caulk (which is also peckable but at least less harmful), I can almost guarantee your problem is one or both of the following: a) putting too thick a bead on (this actually makes it shrink/leak WORSE than a thin bead, counterintuitive though that may seem) and/or b) using it on too wide a gap without shoving backer rod or something similar in there first.

Just sayin',

Pat

4. goldtopper

goldtopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Near Bert Blyleven
    Nope, it's much better than roof patch. I discovered when I had to seal around glass blocks set into concrete that sits above my bomb shelter and serves as my patio. I've had it on for 8 years and it's good as new and we walk on it.

No worries about fumes, it's on the outside only and I'm well ventilated either way.

And yes, I know how to caulk.

5. Ahab

Ahab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Maine
    Tremseal, and Tremco Mono, are industrial-strength sealants (Mono is often used to stick big sheets of glass to skyscrapers) and are pretty much permanent. I installed a long line of windows in our house 30 years ago, and when we went to replace them last year (because the inner seals had let go), wood framing pulled away with the glass. The seal between glass and wood didn't give.

Homeowner-grade silicone caulk is iffy; some is good, most isn't.

If you can't find Tremco products at your lumberyard, try a commercial glass installer. If you have a boating-supplies store nearby, 3M 5200 is similarly tenacious.

6. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    Quote:this is great, thank you.

7. besales

besales New Egg

May 8, 2014
    I just took on a new product line called Tuff-Gard which is a rubberized coating that has zero VOCs and extremely low odor. You can brush, roll or trowel the product...they also have a 2 component product for spraying large area. Drys completely and stays flexible. www.tuff-gard.com. I'm not sure about the pecking thing but it is a very green product. They are located in Toronto Canada. Tell them Ken sent you if you inquire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by