1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I found the eggs (I think I posted this in the wrong spot at first)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmama320, Sep 13, 2009.

1. chickmama320

chickmama320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    Apparently the girls have been going in what is supposed to have been my garden this year. Long story short- it was huge, I started planting, weeds started and I got overwhelmed. It has since become over grown. I have never once seen the girls in there so I really didn't think that there would be eggs in there. I decided that I need to get it cleaned out cause my dog found a possible copper head on the other side of our fence last week. So I was out with the weed eater today and low and behold I found a nest with 8 eggs in it. YAY!!!! There may be more somewhere in there- I ran out of the string for the weedd eater. I don't know what to do with my eggs though. I don't know how old they are and there is a good chance that they are fertilized. If they are I don't know how far along they might be. Also, since I don't want the girls to keep laying out there, how do I get them to stop? On my list of things to do today is to clean up the dog crate and get that rebedded for them for night time. If I put the eggs in there will they start laying in there??

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    [​IMG] I don't know how old they are and there is a good chance that they are fertilized. If they are I don't know how far along they might be.

They may be fine and they may not. If you put an egg in water, a fresher egg will sink and an older egg will float. That does not necessarily mean for sure they are good or bad but it is a good indication. The egg loses moisture over time and the air sac gets larger. Eventually the egg will float, which means it is older. If it sinks, I'd still crack it in a separate bowl to inspect it but I would not be afraid to crack it and check.

Unless a hen has been brooding them, they will not have started developing unless you have constant temperatures around 100 degrees even if they are fertile. If a hen was not on the nest, it is almost certain they have not been brooded. If you have had temperatures around 100 degrees, they may well have spoiled anyway. The only difference between a fertilzed egg and an unfertilized egg is that a fertilized egg will develop if incubated. They do not taste any different, look any different, store any different, or have a different consistency.

Also, since I don't want the girls to keep laying out there, how do I get them to stop? On my list of things to do today is to clean up the dog crate and get that rebedded for them for night time. If I put the eggs in there will they start laying in there??

I'd suggest locking them in the coop far a few days, at least until they have laid their eggs. There is no guarantee that they won't go back to laying outside when they get the chance, but you may be able to retrain them.

I would not put a real chicken egg in the nest to show them where to lay. There is always a chance they will break the egg or it will spoil and explode. I also consider eggs left in the nest overnight an invitation to nighttime egg eaters, especially rats. I recommend fake eggs, gold balls or plastic eggs work, to show them where to lay.

Getting free range chickens to all lay inthe nesting boxes can be a challenge. I wish you good luck![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by