1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

I found the tiniest egg! Is this normal? pics

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenalice, Jul 28, 2011.

1. chickenalice

chickenalice Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I looked into my coop today and saw this little egg. I've heard of double yokers, but never this! It's so cute! I assume this is normal for a chicken to lay, but I just wanted to make sure. So, could this indicate anything bad for the hen who laid it? Is there something in particular that might have caused this (like our unusual amount of rain)?
    THanks!

[​IMG]

2. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quite normal! They're called "fart eggs" or "fairy eggs". Sometimes a young pullet will lay this for her first egg, but sometimes the older gals just seem to spit one out! Very cute!

3. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] glad to have read this just in case....I'll tell me little ones they're fairy eggs lol

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

I collect my girls "fart eggs" I think they are really cute. I just got a little blue one yesterday.

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] glad to have read this just in case....I'll tell me little ones they're fairy eggs lol

I thought fart egg was funny,.. but the more I think about chicken fairies,...[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    YOu guys are soooo funny! [​IMG] [​IMG] . Yeah for a week I will get pretty brown large eggs and out of the blue I will get a lightish brown fart egg. It's always a suprise! Gonna see if it hatches soon. I really hope so.

7. chickenalice

chickenalice Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Hahahaha thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to the next time I get one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by