I found their STASH!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninjapoodles, Sep 27, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    All of a sudden, a few days ago, egg production fell off abruptly. After two days of only a couple of eggs, I told Alex that I bet they'd made a nest outside somewhere, since they free-range for more hours than they're locked up each day. We looked EVERYWHERE, no luck.

Finally found them today. These silly pullets were going into the open turkey pen during the day, and laying their eggs inside the DogLoo that serves as a turkey nesting box. :eek:

Goobers. We gathered eleven eggs, and moved the doghouse into the chicken yard, promising the turkeys that we'd get them another one before they reach laying age.

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    hehehehe my ameraucanaee hides hers too...she covers them with shavings. Like I won't notice the big mound of shavings. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. amysue2012

amysue2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2007
    Montpelier Ohio
    At least you were able to find them before you smelled them!!! lol

4. mozee68

mozee68 New Egg

Jun 10, 2008
    Norhern NJ
    [​IMG] HeHe I just found six in a broken hay bale about an hour ago! I have no idea how long they have been there or what to do with them, but i am on to her now!!!

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    How funny [​IMG] I haven't found an egg yet but I am going to feel so bad when I have to take their eggs from them [​IMG] They try so hard to hide them.

6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    well, you gotta give her credit for trying!!! [​IMG]
    sneaky hens...they are pretty smart, aren't they! LOL [​IMG]

7. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    mine were hiding their's under the bushhog [​IMG]

8. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Quote:LOL I ment that they havent laid any yet

9. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    Mine are kept in a coop and enclosed run, but one day I had 3 eggs and now I have been getting 1 or 2 eggs a day. Now we had gotten 2 bown eggs but haven't in the last week. My guess is that she decided to put them somewhere else and I can't seem to find them. It isn't like they have too many places to hide them either. Guess that I will have to go search their run now as they have been laying in the dirt lately, do you suppose that they are covering them up in the dirt???

10. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    My one hen doesn't hide her eggs- but when I go into the coop to collect them she runs in there with me. As soon as I reach for the eggs, she starts pecking them as hard as she can. She is trying to break them, I think. Then she complains SO LOUDLY as I put them where she can't reach them. She doesnt mess with them as long as they are in the nest- so I don't think she wants to eat them, she just doesn't want me to have them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by