I found this in the next box after work today, was along with the eggs. What is it??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tingwall, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Tingwall

Tingwall New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Hello folks,

I found this in with the eggs today? Can anyone tell me what it is? Here it is next to one of the eggs.

[​IMG]

This is it close up.

[​IMG]
    This is it cut in half.

[​IMG]

This is it cut in 4 pieces, If anyone has seen something like this aswell, can you please let me know what it is?
    [​IMG]

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It's a lash egg. [​IMG]

3. Tingwall

Tingwall New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Hi there, What is a lash egg?

4. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
  5. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    There's hardly any information on the internet about "lash" except some speculation on various forums. Nothing "official" that I can find.
    Experience of hard-core chicken keepers (official experts enough, imho) seem to suggest it is a sloughing off of the reproductive system, usually thought to be lining. It is discussed on forums in hens of all ages but evidently going though either a hormonal change at the beginning or end of their laying production period overall. Sometimes lash is connected to a stressful incident that caused them to stop laying for awhile or a change from broodiness to laying again. Hormonal changes seem key in producing lash. What "lash" material actually is, is debated. Photos show various textures and sizes which make it extra hard to pin down. I suspect "lash" is a broad term used to describe anything that comes out of the hen's reproductive tract (usually coated with a rubbery layer of material in pink to yellow hues) that is not easily identified. It is obviously flesh material, though, and not egg.

I went on Google and looked it up, this is on one of the forums.

6. Tingwall

Tingwall New Egg

Nov 17, 2013
    Thanks for your help.

One of my hens had stopped laying, for a few weeks now i wonder if is her.

7. justplainbatty

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    It could be. Lash egg, most of us think is reproductive lining, and sometimes it contains material that looks like cooked yolk so that you would conclude that a maturing yolk/s were held inside the hen long enough for her internal body heat to have "cooked" the developing yolk/s. If it was caused by a stress event, she may lay again if the stress is gone. If it is genetic or other reproductive issue, she may never lay again, except an occasional lash egg. I have never heard of a report of a rooster passing any such thing, so the obvious conclusion is, reproductive related.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by