I found this link about quantity of eggs laid per breed...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cottagechick, Jan 8, 2012.

1. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Looks pretty accruate

2. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

3. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I was kind of wondering about some of the bantam breeds because other sites will say that the Black Indies and the Mini Appleyards will lay 5 eggs a week from March to June...but these sites say some of them lay like 15 - 40 eggs a year?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    silkie ducks arent listed on there. i wonder how many they lay.

5. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:I found this at Holderread farm:
    Silky
    These extremely rare little ducks have soft lacy plumage similar to Silky doves. They
    were first bred by Darrel Sheraw of Pennsylvania. Due to the nature of their feathers, most
    Silkies cannot fly. Typically they weigh between 30 and 38 ounces at maturity. We are breeding
    them in Black, Gray (mallard colored), Snowy and White. Females are capable of laying
    50-125/year cream, blue, gray or black eggs weighing 20-26 ounces/dozen. We have found
    them to be surprisingly hardy and adaptable to Western Oregon’s long, cold, wet winters. We
    enclose them in well-bedded housing at night, but they are allowed to range outside during
    the day, even in winter.

6. dwhite

dwhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    I only had one call hen that laid under 30 and the chart says 30.

7. cottagechick

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    Quote:This is what Holderread says:

Call (Shipped only as adults)
    Calls are the smallest and most talkative of all domestic duck breeds. Originally developed
    for use as live decoys, today this tiny, toy-like duck is raised primarily for pets, decoration and
    exhibition. Typical weights for show birds are 16-26 ounces. They have short bills, necks
    and legs; round heads and plump bodies. (Due to the shortness of their legs, they do not
    travel as freely as other breeds over rough ground or through tall grass.) Females typically
    lay 15-50 cream or pale blue eggs/year weighing 14-18 ounces/dozen. We are breeding
    Calls in White, Gray, Pastel, Blue Fawn and Butterscotch out of some of the finest show
    strains in North America.

So I guess that thirty might be average...

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Is that a British site? They list several breeds as "heavy" that are classified as "medium weight" in the USA.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by