1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

I found this today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wanttobefarmer, Jul 16, 2010.

1. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Songster

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    My cuckoo maran Beatrice and my EE Nell have been laying in thier own hidden nest in an old shed in my backyard. I have 5 chickens that have been laying for a month and Beatrice and Nell get out of their run alot and have to be put back up. They also get to free range in my large backyard atleast 4 days a week. Anyway i suspected that they were laying somewhere because their egg production has been fairly light lately. Today i couldn't find Beatrice and freaked out. I found her on a nest of eggs. My question is the oldest egg is probably 25 days old they newest today. Is there a way to tell if the an egg has gone bad because i reall want to eat them. Any thoughts from experienced egg collectors?[​IMG][​IMG]

the hoarders Beatrice[​IMG]

Nell [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Good girls ... but BAD girls .... [​IMG]

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    Put them in water....if they float they are no good, too much air in them. If they sink they are ok. I found a nest under my coop this spring where my chickens had dug under. Found like 50+ eggs in mine!

4. wanttobefarmer

wanttobefarmer Songster

May 29, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    thank you so much that is very helpful no floaters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote:

5. I have one that looks like Beatrice and another that looks like Nell...mine are not old enough to lay yet but I hope and pray I don't have to hunt for them when they do begin to lay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: