I Found WHITE TRUFFLES In My Flower Bed!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Chicks_N_Horses, May 2, 2009.

1. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Ok, I was digging/tilling up one of last years flower beds to replant and I dug up 3 white truffles. One big one and 2 smaller ones.

What can I do with them? How can I cook them? I really want to try one since they are suposed to be so good but I don't know what to do with them.

Anyone have truffle experience??

2. Jeff9118

Jeff9118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Greenup KY
    A little concerned that they may be riddled with pesticides and fertilizer since you found them in your flower bed

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    YAY!! I don't know how to cook them, but I have read that they are wonderful. Aren't there dark ones too? I don't know. I would do a google search on how to prepare them!! Let me know how they taste. [​IMG]

4. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Seriously? This may be a stupid question, but how do you know they are truffles? I mean, I've eaten lots of truffle-garnished foods, and seen & collected my share of mushrooms (and not died nor hallucinated from it!), but I don't think I would know a white truffle if one bit me in the butt.

5. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Have you studied much about mushrooms? Please be careful as there are many edible mushrooms that have look-alikes that are deadly.

6. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Put them in a terrarium and use them as truffle seeds.

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Well when I found them I suspected they were truffles (I have seen them before) and I googled it to be sure and they are indeed truffles. These are white ones, not the dark ones. I am most positive that it is a truffle.

We haven't used any fertilizer this year. I was just tilling up the soil getting ready to plant new flowers. I don't use pesticides, only Miracle Grow plant food and we do it just a couple times a year. I will have to google on that too...I think they are safe to eat but I will double check on the miracle grow. We use it on our edible plants too so I feel it is safe.....

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    hey, can I have your incubator if you die? [​IMG]

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

10. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuber_(genus)

http://www.forbes.com/2002/10/30/cx_1030feat.html

[​IMG]

If all you used in that area is Miracle Grow then you should be all right. We used it a couple years on our tomatoes and herbs and no issues (unless you count my short temper... LOL). Post a photo or two. Should look like a sort of knobby SMALL ping pong ball... Shave with a very sharp knife and sprinkle on pasta or in scrambled eggs. Also is a great addition to risotto, you could shave them small and put them into some chicken stock for the risotto...

Aaahhhh yes... TRUFFLES.

Last edited: May 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by