I Found WHITE TRUFFLES In My Flower Bed!!

Chicks_N_Horses

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
South Alabama
Ok, I was digging/tilling up one of last years flower beds to replant and I dug up 3 white truffles. One big one and 2 smaller ones.

What can I do with them? How can I cook them? I really want to try one since they are suposed to be so good but I don't know what to do with them.

Anyone have truffle experience??

YAY!! I don't know how to cook them, but I have read that they are wonderful. Aren't there dark ones too? I don't know. I would do a google search on how to prepare them!! Let me know how they taste.
celebrate.gif

Seriously? This may be a stupid question, but how do you know they are truffles? I mean, I've eaten lots of truffle-garnished foods, and seen & collected my share of mushrooms (and not died nor hallucinated from it!), but I don't think I would know a white truffle if one bit me in the butt.

Have you studied much about mushrooms? Please be careful as there are many edible mushrooms that have look-alikes that are deadly.

Well when I found them I suspected they were truffles (I have seen them before) and I googled it to be sure and they are indeed truffles. These are white ones, not the dark ones. I am most positive that it is a truffle.

We haven't used any fertilizer this year. I was just tilling up the soil getting ready to plant new flowers. I don't use pesticides, only Miracle Grow plant food and we do it just a couple times a year. I will have to google on that too...I think they are safe to eat but I will double check on the miracle grow. We use it on our edible plants too so I feel it is safe.....

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuber_(genus)

http://www.forbes.com/2002/10/30/cx_1030feat.html

feat_open_415x257.jpg

If all you used in that area is Miracle Grow then you should be all right. We used it a couple years on our tomatoes and herbs and no issues (unless you count my short temper... LOL). Post a photo or two. Should look like a sort of knobby SMALL ping pong ball... Shave with a very sharp knife and sprinkle on pasta or in scrambled eggs. Also is a great addition to risotto, you could shave them small and put them into some chicken stock for the risotto...

Aaahhhh yes... TRUFFLES.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom