I gave a baby chick! Please help????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mother hen to many!, Nov 23, 2008.

1. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    I was given a baby chick yesterday. IT has its feathers. I was just wondering when can I put it with the others? It is very cold here and I don't want it to freeze. So what age is best?[​IMG]

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I would keep it away from your flock for at least a couple of weeks . You really need to make sure it is healthy and not going to make your other birds sick. It needs to have all its feathers to stay warm since it doesn' t have a mama to lay under. I would keep it in isolation with some heat source for a few weeks.

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    Yes I agree with CW. Also the grown chickens could kill it. I would keep it inside with a heat lamp. You said it has feathers but also said it was a baby chick. Chicks grow "real" feathers at 6-7 weeks. The heat needs to be near 95 degrees when first born, going down 5 degrees each week. Since we don't know how old your chick is, could you post a picture?

4. mother hen to many!

mother hen to many! Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2008
    Claypool, In
    Sorry. I am on someone elses computer. I will ask the people I got it from how old it is. Then I will let you know tomorrow.

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Hi there! You need to keep it separate for at least 4 weeks because of possible sicknesses. Then after that, if the chick is old enough, put it in a brooder separate from the others but visible to them until it is about 8-10 weeks, then slowly let it interact with the others a little more each day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by