I gave my Broody Hen a couple chicks and I think she smashed them?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by apix, Mar 6, 2015.

1. apix

apix New Egg

Aug 27, 2014
    I put the chicks under/next to my hen EggBird late at night so it was dark and she was fine with them for a couple days and then the other morning I found one dead which was sad to see.

We thought it was a fluke and went to get a replacement chick and when we came back the other one with the hen was dead. The second one kinda felt like it had a broken neck or had been squashed.

We felt bad as its obvious the hen just wants to raise the chicks but might be too fat or clumsy? It's her first time raising chicks btw.

We left the hen with the new chick during the whole day and they were great, very motherly and cute. Last night was there first night together so I made the best extra thick and soft to hopefully avoid anymore smashing and the chick is fine this morning.

Should I take away the chick from her and raise it on its own? Or is it worth risking it so that our hen can raise a baby? She obviously wants to raise it.

Thanks

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It would be better to leave the chick with the mom, if risky, instead of raising it on it's own. I've raised a single chick once and they are very high maintenance. It does happen that chicks die with broodies, two chicks dying is a bit unusual, but maybe it was just bad luck? I hope the new baby will be o.k. with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by