I gave my chickens a de-wormer and...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Skunkmiser, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Skunkmiser

Skunkmiser Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2009
    Raymond, NH
    I was told to buy a de-wormer and was also told not to eat the eggs for 2 weeks. What can i do with the eggs i get from the hens everyday that i can't eat? Cook them for birds or do i have to dispose of them?

2. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I cook them and feed them back to the birds or compost them.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I used to do that too, until someone pointed out that by doing that you're feeding the wormer back to the chickens and extending the withholding period. I use Cayenne pepper in their feed once a week as a natural dewormer, now, and never have to worry about not eating the eggs. [​IMG]

4. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    get rid off the eggs [​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

I used to do that too, until someone pointed out that by doing that you're feeding the wormer back to the chickens and extending the withholding period. I use Cayenne pepper in their feed once a week as a natural dewormer, now, and never have to worry about not eating the eggs. [​IMG]

Thats what I heard too but by the time it is processed through the chicken-then laid in an egg-then cooked -it's good for the birds. By the time they eat them there is next to nothing left and in such a weakened state-you might as well just think of it as non existent back in the bird. So fo the two weeks I feed their eggs back to them for the whole first week and then the second week we eat them:) IMO​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by