I gave my girls some scratch

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrs Doolittle, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Mrs Doolittle

Mrs Doolittle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    South Dakota
    For the first time. My goodness! lol The sqawking and chasing each other away from it. LOL Hilarious.

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Mine were afraid of scratch feed the first time I offered it to them.

3. edible_chicken

edible_chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Ohio
    i don't even give my chickens scratch. they are free-range during day and lock up at night. But when i give them bird seed or suet cake, they go nuts.

4. joypeters

joypeters Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    northridge, california
    scratch is just a treat, right? you don't depend on it. try giving them black oil sunflower seeds. it's beneficial for them internally and externally, and mine go N.U.T.S. for it. joy

5. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    Thats cute! My chicks are only about 5 weeks old today, so no scratch yet, but every other day I have been placing a full slice of Silver Hills Organic Squireley Bread into the bottom of thier enclosure (no longer a brooder as the light is OFF) and they go INSANE for that!!!!! My Easter Egger (whom I fear may be a rooster) has learnt that if she stands direclty on the slice of bread while eating, the other girls cant snatch it away, LOL

6. Mrs Doolittle

Mrs Doolittle Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    South Dakota
    Yep, just a treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by