I gave my pullets grass clippings :(

debbieharry

Chirping
May 12, 2020
Hi there, I’m a chicken newbie and just made a serious rookie mistake, I now realize. I have 3 9-month old Leghorn pullets and yesterday gave them a pile of grass clippings that included long strands after we weed whacked the lawn. They had a great time scratching in them and eating them and seem fine, except this evening I noticed that one of them has a noticeably full crop. I have now read up (too late) on the dangers of long grass clippings this evening (why are they not featured in any of the many lists I have read about what not to feed chickens?!). I’m panicking here and feel terrible for potentially causing my hen a problem! will check in the morning to see if it has gone down, but if not I guess it’s likely impacted. (The other two did not have noticeably distended crops.) The other problem is that the pullets have only been with me for 3 weeks - they came from a small scale commercial operation and had not been handled nor raised well, and they are extremely panicky - I am gradually training them to take food from me but they are way too scared for me to pick them up. So I have no idea how I will administer oil via the beak, as seems to be recommended, if the one pullet’s crop is still distended tomorrow! Does anyone have any tips for me? Thanks! Here’s a pic of my girls from a few days ago ❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• 5FBE1E6F-EEB5-4951-A4D9-65DA59ADB690.jpeg
    5FBE1E6F-EEB5-4951-A4D9-65DA59ADB690.jpeg
    856.9 KB · Views: 25
Most inportant is that they can eat small stones to grind the grass. I bet you can buy them at tractor supply.

My chickens eat a lot of grass if they have the chance to do so. And I often give them grass after sowing. Sometimes long clippings too. Never had a problem. The chickens always have acces to a bowl filled with pigeons grit* (oyster shells and sharp stones) bc I have very small chickens I think thats better as the chicken grit.

*Im not sure grit is the right name in the US.

I agree with BDutch, sand grit. Necessary for grinding up food.
How is she doing? Sometimes seeing a full crop as a new chicken owner can give you a startle. I thought my chicken had a tumor the first time I saw it. They are very resilient.
I do not give grass clipping to my chickens but offer lots of other fruits, veggies, proteins. Sometimes I hang a head of lettuce for entertainment value. They peck at it like a tetherball.

First,,,, you are not sure that that one has impacted crop. In the evening before chickens go to roost, they like to eat a good portion/quantity of feed. This is so during the night they digest the food. In the morning their crops do get empty.
In the past 20+ years of keeping chickens I have never incurred any problems giving my chickens free range on the lawn, and I put all my bagged grass clippings in their run always. They keep busy scratching thru the clippings all day long. I do provide feed available for them all the time. They have access to grit, as well as the small stones or gravel they find on the ground.
I also use hay inside my coop floor, and for nesting. They do seem to scratch thru that also, with no adverse affect to their crop.
Stay positive, and do not blame yourself whatsoever. :hugs
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Hi everyone - thank you so much for your thoughts!! I'm new to the forum and didn't realize I had these replies, so I apologize for the slow reply! I had read a lot of horror stories about grass clippings and impacted crops, so I was having a late night new chickie mama panic attack, but you were right, the crops were normal again in the morning. I had the same experience again yesterday - two of my three girls seem to really fill those crops, but they are gone down again by morning. I guess they are just young and eating for the Olympics!

They do love scratching in the grass clippings so I guess I will give them more but play it safe and cut them up small! I hung a half cabbage in their run today to see if they would go for the tetherball game, but they were really scared of it haha, so I cut it down so they can peck at it on the ground :frow

If you would have left cabbage hanging,,, I know eventually they would have started pecking on it. Chickens are careful about new things, and surroundings. Once they get comfortable, there are no issues.
Your chickens and ALL OTHERS always try to have a full crop:pop before going to roost for the night. Yes,,, I know it looks like chicken has a tumor on her front side:old

My girls love it right after the lawn is mowed. They also get into the hay. I've not had problems. As others have said, grit! If they free range at all, they'll get it on their own from the dirt and whatnot. Otherwise, just give them some on the side in it's own dish. You will have to do the same with oyster shells once they approach lay.

Hey - I'd love to see pictures of your little flock! Do you have any to share???
:D

My girls love it right after the lawn is mowed. They also get into the hay. I've not had problems. As others have said, grit! If they free range at all, they'll get it on their own from the dirt and whatnot. Otherwise, just give them some on the side in it's own dish. You will have to do the same with oyster shells once they approach lay.

Hey - I'd love to see pictures of your little flock! Do you have any to share???
:D
Hi there! Yes I think they are finding grit in the dirt in their run and I will add a dish of it soon just in case they don’t get enough. I’m expanding their run today so that’s exciting. They also have a big dish of oyster shell and good quality layer pellets - two have been laying since I got them 4 weeks ago and the third is producing one about once a week, often with double yolks, so I guess her system is a bit slower to get going! Here is a pic!
E282648C-A784-421E-8019-56896C46CFB1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom