I gave some away

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by addicted2chicks, Apr 11, 2009.

1. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Well we had some people over at our house that were buying something we had for sale. They mentioned that they were wanting to get chickens but they have to order a minimum of 25 at the hatchery they were wanting to go through. So I asked them if they would like to have some chicks. So I gave 16 away to them. They were very appreciative. They wanted to pay for them but honestly we just had too many chicks. I have been worried they were going to outgrow their brooder so at least now I have a little more space. So now I am down to 86 standards. Still plenty o chicks.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sure you still have plenty of chicks. [​IMG]
    I agonized before I gave away my alpha roo and two of his favorite hens to friends that lost their entire flock. Now I know I made the right decision and they have a good home.

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Giving away chicks is GOOD for the flock! If you get to pick out chicks you can live without, you end up with a tighter, neater flock. Good for you and you did a good thing, probably for the chicks as well as for the people who got them, and for yourself.

4. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I just did the same thing,..a friend of mine took 6 babies off my hands. Thank goodness I have a little more room in the brooder now.

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    By conventional chicken math, 86 chickens is only about 8-10, right?

Wait... do you have standards or banties? If those are banties, then you've only got 4-5 chickens and you need more.

6. addicted2chicks

addicted2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Michigan
    Haha, conventional chicken math doesn't count today, that only counts when I am at a store and I see more chicks I want. lol
    I now have 86 standards, 12 bantams and 20 guineas.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:LMAO!

I live in the city and will have 8 chickens of varying ages by the end of the month. I really really want an EE and am trying to figure out how I can stuff one more bird into my coop.

If I were a better person, I'd be figuring out how I could wait until I either had more property or fewer birds. [​IMG]

8. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I just know Im going to have way too many here soon. My hubby is going to strangle me.. Hopefully the cute little fluff balls will detour his fustrations with me though. He is a sucker for cute little animals. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by