I gave them heat!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BlueCamas, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I gave my birds a heat lamp at night yesterday. This morning, eggs!!! They haven't been laying since October and I was wanting some eggs to incubate [​IMG] I guess if you treat em' well they treat you well back. I won't do this all winter but until I get enough eggs to incubate I will.
    Just a reminder to those who aren't getting any eggs [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Congrats on the eggs.

Imp

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on the eggs, but they are coincidental to the addition of the heat lamp. The development process of an egg takes roughly 3 days. Putting a heat lamp in last night did not give you those results.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If you want to keep getting eggs, you can provide them with light from a regular bulb. If you provide them with heat, then take it away, it will be harder for them to deal with the cooler weather as they won't be acclimated to it.

5. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Quote:x2

6. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    Oh, oh well then, my friend in CO got her chickens laying again by giving them a heat lamp. The main reason I gave them a lamp in the first place was that I have a bantam chick that just moved into the coop and a mama with a week old baby. I'm just happy I'm getting eggs again! And their in the nest box for once!

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:Again, it was from the light, not the heat. My chickens were laying in sub-zero weather last winter without a heat lamp. (I did have to be diligent in checking frequently for eggs because they would freeze and crack in a very short time.) I think the mama will keep her baby warm enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by