I gave them the entire yard!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gonzo, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I did'nt want to keep my 27 chickens confined to a small area, so during the day we gave them free run of the backyard, now I have no grass! I have an ugly muddy mess! Yuk! I plan on fencing their butts in a nice size run as soon as I can get some decent weather. Any suggestions on what I can do until I can do this and plant grass? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
  2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Put down lots of straw. It'll be good to add organic material to your yard for the future grass seed, and will soak up at least some of the water. I've had to do the same with my back yard.

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Will do! Thanks!
    Quote:

4. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    gonzo&hispeeps :

Will do! Thanks!
    Quote:
    OH WAIT...if you love going cheap like I do then rake a neighbors pine needles and use them instead...LOL! It works...[​IMG] It'll make your soil more acidic though, but if you have alkaline soil...it's good!​

5. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Are you serious? One of the reasons I have chickens is so I don't have to pass a lawnmower.

6. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Louisiana must not be getting enough rain like we are to the north of you. My yard currently looks like I live IN a Louisiana swamp!! Yes..very serious about all the mud...it's TOO MUCH. I like not having to cut grass too, but I like to at least have some grass to not cut [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Cindiloohoowoohooyahoo ... I put straw down in my muddy runs. Once it dried out, I realized why so many adobe type houses are built of straw and mud. That combo sets up like concrete! I had to get a pickax out to break it up. [​IMG]

How on earth do you do it?

8. Cindiloohoo

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Quote:Cindiloohoowoohooyahoo ... I put straw down in my muddy runs. Once it dried out, I realized why so many adobe type houses are built of straw and mud. That combo sets up like concrete! I had to get a pickax out to break it up. [​IMG]

How on earth do you do it?

I don't...DH breaks it up if it needs it..lol! JK! I don't worry about the run so much because it is on higher ground. The area right outside is where most of our mud is. We have clay soil. I just throw down straw when I have it. It's a quick fix. Sometimes I toss sawdust, pine needles, shavings...whatever i have on hand that might soak up some of the water and make less muck to have to wade through. I like chopped leaves to toss down too, but they really pack as bad as straw! I guess the variety of things I toss is why we do not have to really break it up [​IMG] Grass seed will be going down in a few more weeks and hopefully it'll root well and not just wash or get eaten by my birds.

9. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    If it were me id leave it. Your Grass will come back beautiful, chickens are great fertilizers!
    Pine shaving can make your lawn really acidic and unhealthy if not picked up. Id go with the straw if your going to go down that route

10. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    A swamp.....in Louisiana??? Never heard of it. [​IMG] Good luck with your yard. I only gave mine about 1/3 of my yard.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by