I Give, Gonna Bathe the Birds!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by countyroad1330, Oct 24, 2008.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I only have one Sultan and one Silkie, they're both about 8 weeks old. They've gotten so dirty in their little home! The Silkie has poopy bum, the Sultan's feet are so dirty and the feathers are still sheathed! And both of their little crests are dirty and layed over. [​IMG]

So, any advice on giving these dirty birds a bath??? [​IMG]

Oh and what about the Sultan's sheathed foot feathers? Should I be concerned? They're so long!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Advice? Yes! Bath them gently and carefully with mild detergent and rinse them with water with glycerin in it - you can get it at walmart. Blow dry them TH ROUGHLY before you put them outside.

3. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    What kind of detergent??? And, they're both only about the size of both my fists, is it ok to blow dry them? I will definitely make sure they're dry before they go out, its just too cold! Maybe I should make them some diapers so they can spend more time in the house. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Dish soap is mild enough. Use the blow dryer on low and then leave them in the house for a long time to make sure they are completely dry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by