I give up! (AKA: anyone need some button boys?)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by shelleyd2008, Sep 23, 2010.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I recently hatched some of my buttons' eggs. I had only 5 of the eggs hatch. Of these 5, EVERY STINKING ONE OF THEM IS A MALE!! [​IMG]

I'm already completely overrun with male buttons, I have 4 hens and 16 males, not counting these.

What the heck am I going to do with them? I don't feel comfortable selling just males around here, I don't know many people besides myself that have buttons. So anyone that got them would most likely be expecting eggs, and would either kill, turn loose, or resell them when they don't deliver. At least here with me, I know they are safe, although I'm sure they aren't too happy [​IMG]

I've got 4 cages, one has 2 females and 3 males, 2 cages have 1 female and 4 males each, then another has 5 males. The 5-male cage doesn't have any aggression or picking problems, so I'm thinking about putting the other extra boys in all-male pens? This would work, right? [​IMG]

Anyone need some button boys? They are very pretty! [​IMG]

2. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I don't need any, I don't think.

Would love to see pictures.

Did you put them on the Sell Buy Trade?

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:No because I haven't the slightest idea how to ship! I mean, I have an idea of how to do it, but not sure that I could, if that makes sense. I'd have to check with my P.O. to see if they can even ship them out before I even try to ship any.

4. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Ya, because they may not accept them, but if they do. Then you could check with others that ship live birds. I think I read on someone that waits until they are a few days or weeks old. I think its at least days so they are stronger. I don't know, I don't remember. Check the old threads, I guess.

But if you posted pictures them we could at least drool. (can you tell I am anxiously awaiting my own hatch, which smell fine by the way).

Who knows maybe someone would fall in love with them and drive over and pick some up from you. So meet you somewhere.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:No because I haven't the slightest idea how to ship! I mean, I have an idea of how to do it, but not sure that I could, if that makes sense. I'd have to check with my P.O. to see if they can even ship them out before I even try to ship any.

BUY SELL AUCTION SECTION--- OTHER POULTRY FORMAT--- LOOK AT THE TOP OF THAT PAGE AND THERE IS A STICKY THAT CONTAINS ALL USPS REGULATIONS FOR SHIPPING [​IMG]

BASICALLY GET HORIZON BOXES AND SHOVE THE LIL BOOGERZ IN WITH SOME CUT APPLES AND ORANGES AND OVERNIGHT THEM. (THEY OBVIOUSLY HAVE TO BE OLD ENOUGH TO GO WITHOUT HEAT) SAD PART IS THE PRICE OF SHIPPING LIVE BIRDS IS ABSOLUTLEY ATROCIOUS!

6. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Its still so hot here, they probably would do just fine coming thru the mail.

Next week maybe it really will go under 90 with a 90 heat index. I am 2 months late getting anything planted in the garden. I guess I can kiss a fall garden good buy and just put in a winter one.

Edited : Oh, forgot to add serious put up pictures. I'll have daughter look at them and talk to her old friends in Nashville. Who knows, maybe some would be interested. And thats sort of close to you.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Most of mine are years old, not days or weeks. Only the newest ones are babies, they are about a month or so. The youngest of my other extras are 3 or 4 months old or so, then I've got 5 that are a little over 1 year old and 8 that are almost 2 years old.

(excuse some of their appearances, I've got a feather-picking hen that is about to go to the big button cage in the sky if she doesn't stop! Some of the cages were in need of a good cleaning too, they don't normally look that bad [​IMG])
    Pics:
    (wild male, silver male, silver redbreast male--all 2 years old this Thanksgiving)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(blueface male [df], cinnamon blueface male, Darth Vader male, Redbreast male--all 2 years old this Thanksgiving)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(2 cinnamon blueface males, 1 Darth Vader male, 1 golden pearl male, 1 cinnamon redbreast male--all 1 year old this past June)
    [​IMG]

(2 cinnamon blueface males, 1 golden pearl male, 1 cinnamon pearl male--all 3-4 months old)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't have pics of the babies, but there are 3 silver (or silver mixed) and 2 that look like GP
    ETA ages

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  8. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:These are buttons, you got coturnix [​IMG]
    If I had an abundance of coturnix males I'd just take them to auction...but buttons are too small to eat [​IMG]

9. Buttercup Chillin

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I know.
    Let me call daughter and she can see them and text her friends in Nashville and see if she can stir up some interest for you.
    Have no idea how far you are from there, but those gals are young with young children and my DD loves my birds and so she will want to see some birds like this when she goes to visit.

Daughter doesn't live there anymore but visits back and forth with friends there.

Its worth a try. May not pan out, but who knows.

10. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Can a pair of button boys live together just as pets? I think they're absolutly adorable. How long a drive is it to where you are from Dallas?

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by