*I give up! Am I killing my eggs?!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tripp16, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi everyone! it is day 5 for my eggs and either my hygrometer is off or I just cannot get get my humidity to go down!! I took the water wells out hoping it would dry out yesterday! [​IMG]

Well either some water fell out when I took it out or my hygrometer is messed up! It says my humidity is at 70% [​IMG] I keep opening the bator every now and then to let the humidity out but not long after it goes right back up!! [​IMG] I am freaking out! If I lose this hatch before it has hardly even started I dont know what I will do.

HELP!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You have time to get them back on track. It's the total moisture loss by day 18 that is the most important.

When I removed the water from the wells of my LG ( going a dry incubation instead) the stryofoam had absorbed some water and it took several days to dry. You didn't say which model you are using.

Get a new hydrometer or calibrate the one you have. 70$RH is too high if that is really what it is.

GL

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have a hova bator.

4. pulletmom#1

pulletmom#1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    i know how ya feel. im having trouble keeping my temp down, mine keeps going frome 99 1/2 to 104 back and fourth:he the humidity is 35.i dont know if my thermostats messed up or if its the wether raining here for days now.

5. pulletmom#1

Oct 9, 2011
    ps i have 1 thermometer on my egg turner that reads 90f and 1 sitting on top of eggs that keeps going up and down. which one do i go by???? anyone? [i have lg incubator]

6. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I know its sooo frustrating!! I think I know why my last eggs didnt make it! the humidity was to high! [​IMG]

7. pulletmom#1

Oct 9, 2011
    i did the same thing last time and had 1 out of 12 hatch. but i read on byc to keep humidity down to 35% so im doing that now. but now i cant seem to get my temp under control! making me a nervous reck!!

8. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    How did you get your humidity that low?!

9. pulletmom#1

Oct 9, 2011
    it was 50% and i found out on here it should be 35% so i took a towel and soped up the water out of the water wells. it took about 3 days for it to finally get down to that point. im on day 5 too so, theres still time to work out the kinks try not to worry. mine on the other hand could kill them before i get it stratened out because of high heat kills embryo.[ i wish us both luck]

10. SA newbie

SA newbie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Got a batch of 21 in on day 5 too and struggling with the temps too. Got three themometers in digital and two murcury, digital always a deg celsius higher, keeps hitting 104 F- did a quick mobile phone conversion. Does the humidity affect the temp and visa versa?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by