I give up.... buying a pre-fab

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Luke13:34, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Neither my husband nor I are particularly good at carpentry. After spending a week trying to figure out how we could put together some salvage items from my attic and garage, hubby says we should just buy a prefab. *sigh* I already feel like a failure and I don't even have chickens yet!

Oh, well.. I understand that once you start keeping chickens you start getting more chickens [​IMG] so maybe down the road I will have the opportunity to try my hand at coop building again.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Would that help you with prefab?
    [​IMG]

3. Finn's Mom

Finn's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are pre fab too. (and not just the first one!) My DH and I tried to put up crown moulding early in our marriage, and at the end of the first day we wanted to whack each other in the head with all the boards we cut too short again and again. A nice person came in and finished the job for us and since then we have decided to be at peace enjoying the results of other people's carpentry talents!

There are still lots of finishing touches you can do to the coop to make it your own that don't require carpentry skills. I made the feeders and waterers with info I found here, painted the inside, and have put in some nice flowers and flowering shrubs around the run. Since you have options, be sure to get one bigger than you think you'll need (cheaper than buying more, trust me on this [​IMG]) So just enjoy those chickens! Good luck!

Oops, P.S Welcome! And I LOVE my comets. Not the fanciest looking, but pretty in their own way, as sweet as could be, very laid back and friendly.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  4. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Luke13:34 :

Neither my husband nor I are particularly good at carpentry. After spending a week trying to figure out how we could put together some salvage items from my attic and garage, hubby says we should just buy a prefab. *sigh* I already feel like a failure and I don't even have chickens yet!

Oh, well.. I understand that once you start keeping chickens you start getting more chickens [​IMG] so maybe down the road I will have the opportunity to try my hand at coop building again.

I totally understand. I did my prefab 7 years ago - I highly recommend Jamaica Cottage Shop (link below). They can customize just about anything! You can see pics of my coop on My Page. They have TONS of options: Windows and screens, dutch doors (highly recommend!), sky light panels, pop doors, vents, colors, sizes, designs, etc.
    http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/

5. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Don't feel bad at all. I have spent the last two months killing myself trying to build a 4 x 8- if I could have afforded a big pre-fab, I would have done it! Have you checked Craigslist and places like that- sometimes you can buy someone else's coop for lot's less than you think.

6. SparksNV

SparksNV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Spanish Springs, NV
    I know in our area (Northern Nevada) there are alot of out of work carpenters that would probably do it for less than a prefab. I would search the coop page to find something you like. Ask friends, relatives, co workers for recommendations for a carpenter. Be sure you sign a contract stipulating exactly what you want, including labor and materials and COMPLETION date. Date it and both of you sign it. Give a copy to the carpenter. If the carpenter says we don't need a contract, I would run fast. Alot of times they want a percentage upfront and rest when work is completed.

Whether it is prefab, home built, or professionally built - hope you have fun!

7. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    We have a dog kennel and then had a 20x40 chicken barn built by a contractor because we could not figure it out our selves. We also had several small houses built too. It all works in the end. Never feel like you have failed.

8. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:I totally understand. I did my prefab 7 years ago - I highly recommend Jamaica Cottage Shop (link below). They can customize just about anything! You can see pics of my coop on My Page. They have TONS of options: Windows and screens, dutch doors (highly recommend!), sky light panels, pop doors, vents, colors, sizes, designs, etc.
    http://www.jamaicacottageshop.com/

I want their greenhouse. It would make a fabulous coop with the addition of hardware cloth over the windows. We have a lot of dark months here in Seattle. That would be perfect under a deciduous tree. All I have to do is convince hubby we have an extra $4000 to spend. I don't see that happening.

9. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Quote:I could buy the greenhouse plans, and see if i could get someone to build it. I think a dutch door would be a great touch. I could watch the chickens more easily.

10. Jmurcks

Jmurcks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    North Alabama
    I built my coop myself... NEVER again!
    It cost me an arm and a leg and I lost a thumb nail! (hit it with a screwdriver)

Next time prefab all the way!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by