I give up on pecking problem!What now?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ecocheapomom, May 20, 2010.

1. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have posted many times over the last 6 months about this subject and received some wonderful suggestions. We have a small flock of NH Reds who constantly peck at each other. About half of them are missing all of the feathers around their tails and vents and the area is constantly getting larger. We have tried everything from supplementing their diets, hanging cabbages, applying pine tar, blue kote, and on and on. Nothing has helped. Even when they were free ranging they did it. (We have had to keep them in the run of late because of a serious fox problem that already claimed one hen) It just keeps getting worse and all I can do is spray the areas with Blue Kote every few days so it doesn''t look so red and attract more pecking.
    At this point it seems like it is just habit and now that I am raising a new batch of chicks (all breeds that were chosen for being docile) I am hesitant to introduce them to a flock of pecker heads [​IMG] So do I just keep spraying them and then process my NH's when I am ready to move the new pullets out to the coop? Or do I put them out of their misery now? They are making me crazy and it looks absolutely terrible. Any thoughts?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Sounds like you've tried everything. If they are intent on working through slathered on pine tar I'd consider them incorrigible and would definitely process so as not to expose the new chooks to an opportunity to emulate this behavior.

Take Care!

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. Chewie

Chewie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2010
    We had to cull our entire flock because of this issue! It's so frustrating to say the least!!!! Our chickens ended up with a mite which caused them to pick themselves and each other. They couldn't kick their habit even after the mites were long gone! On one morning I went out to see how they were doing and they decided to start picking each others combs. It was a bloody mess. Needless to say that was the last day of their little lives! I thanked them for the chicken soup. [​IMG] Sorry you are dealing with this. Do research on birds that are less aggressive to each other. I've heard New Hampshire Reds, Leghorns and others can be pills.

4. ecocheapomom

ecocheapomom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Our new batch of chicks should be more docile. I went with Delawares, SLW, Barred Rocks and Dominiques. I do think I should send the other hens to freezer camp before going through the introduction process. I may let one stick around who is always the victim of the pecking and I have never seen doing it to the others. She is also my best layer.
    I may try a few other things while the chicks are still in the brooder, but I think I've done my best. Glad to know we aren't the only ones.

5. arch_cpj

arch_cpj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    medina county
    get a 1/4 cup of axel grease mix in say 2 tbs of cayenne pepper and 2tbs vinegar mix it up and apply it to the areas being pecked keep applying until pecking has stopped apply liberally and 2 times daily minimum...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by