I going to California can I bring back fertile Eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by justlookin, Mar 31, 2012.

1. justlookin

justlookin New Egg

Feb 28, 2011
    Im making a trip by plane to visit family, can I bring back fertile eggs?? If so I want some new Blood of Lav Orpingtons and Black Copper Marans. Thanks for your help.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Why not? My thought is you can mail them across state lines so you should be able to drive them. It's the international lines that are tricky.

The Marans was introduced to England by putting the hatching eggs in lunch basket and passing them off as hard boiled. At the time there were livestock import restrictions.

1 person likes this.
  3. coleridgedane

coleridgedane Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2011
    Marietta, GA
    Leaving CA is not a problem. Bringing in would be. Moved from there 6 mos ago & I brought a ton of stuff.

4. philogirl

philogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    My only question about flying with the eggs is - Are they going to x-ray them? When packages are shipped are they x-rayed? Not sure if it would hurt the eggs.

Other than that is sounds good, especially as you will be able to know how they are handled.

5. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    I've been told it's very bad to xray and if xray'ed they won't hatch.
    Call your's and California's state vet and check for any rules/regulations.
    I doubt for eggs there would be any but some states require some paper, not sure what it is.
    I would also bring them as a carry on, padded and packed in a small carry case like purse or shoe box size. Keep the container open'able and easy for them to check and go extra early to give them time
    to check each egg.
    HOWEVER
    Also in light of some of the really DUMB [​IMG] TSA stories in the news about the dump no common
    sense things they do on a regular basis, just be totally prepared for them to possibly be confiscated or for them to demand you allow them to xray them should you get a TSA agent with a few less brain cells than normal After all one never knows when someone may try to carry some exploding chicken eggs
    on board a plane. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  6. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    The x-ray technology used by TSA at passenger or cargo security check points does not harm the hatchability of eggs.

The cargo hold of passenger and cargo jet aircraft is pressurized and not harmful to fertile eggs.

The cargo hold of jet passenger or cargo planes does not get so cold that it harms hatching eggs.

There is some risk in extreme climates of hatching eggs being damaged by cold (or heat) prior to being loaded or after being unloaded from the plane.

Eggs are now considered a liquid in a container and I have not heard of anyone getting them past TSA for that reason. Prior to that ban I carried many dozens of hatching eggs as carry on and they did not seem to suffer from X-ray at all. Now if you can find a hatching egg producer between security and the jet way I think you would be OK. Maybe next to Starbucks.

There are farms in GA that produce hatching eggs by the millions for shipment to the Carribean and northern South America. They are all shipped by plane and are sporadically checked by the super X-ray devices used for cargo. There are no ill effects.

I think that all packages shipped by air services like USPS, FED EX and USPS are X-rayed. That would include a lot of hatching eggs shipped domestically.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by