I goofed!

mtnhomechick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Mountain Home, AR
When I processed my Cornish x I didn't brine them. Now I am thawing a couple out to make and I'm wondering if I still can brine them before I cook them.

I also don't know HOW to brine a chicken.

Any Advice??

TIA

Mary

What does brine mean?
idunno.gif

I soak mine evernight....in COLD water, with about 1/4 cup salt. If the chicken is frozen...it will help keep the water cold. The next day, rinse, and cook....yum!!

Personally and not the opinion of many, I do not brine or anything to my birds. Its a matter of not needing extra sodium.
My Cornish x is thawing in the refrigerator right now and its as natural as the day he went nekked!
I do cook mine in a roaster with 1 cup water, onions, bullion(salt enough) and they come out very nice.
Good luck to you, try it without brine, you may find you can avoid a step, or you may want to brine yours next year! Trial and error. If the bird is to tough, crock pot the meat off that one, add gravey.

I don't brine but I do melt a little butter add some home made broth, garlic powder and white pepper. Inject in the breast and thighs and the meat is the most tender meat you have ever eaten.

I brine the older roosters but your cornish should fine. They should age a bit before you cook them - 24 - 48 hours in the fridge.

I only brine older birds. The young ones (less than 14 weeks) don't need it. Some say even older than that before they need brining, but I prefer to brine the ones older than that. It can be dome after thawing, or while thawing, no problem.

A lot of folks never brine at all. They seem happy with their birds too, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom