I goofed!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mtnhomechick, Dec 5, 2008.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    When I processed my Cornish x I didn't brine them. Now I am thawing a couple out to make and I'm wondering if I still can brine them before I cook them.

I also don't know HOW to brine a chicken.

Any Advice??

TIA

Mary

2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    What does brine mean? [​IMG]

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I soak mine evernight....in COLD water, with about 1/4 cup salt. If the chicken is frozen...it will help keep the water cold. The next day, rinse, and cook....yum!!

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Personally and not the opinion of many, I do not brine or anything to my birds. Its a matter of not needing extra sodium.
    My Cornish x is thawing in the refrigerator right now and its as natural as the day he went nekked!
    I do cook mine in a roaster with 1 cup water, onions, bullion(salt enough) and they come out very nice.
    Good luck to you, try it without brine, you may find you can avoid a step, or you may want to brine yours next year! Trial and error. If the bird is to tough, crock pot the meat off that one, add gravey.

5. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I don't brine but I do melt a little butter add some home made broth, garlic powder and white pepper. Inject in the breast and thighs and the meat is the most tender meat you have ever eaten.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I brine the older roosters but your cornish should fine. They should age a bit before you cook them - 24 - 48 hours in the fridge.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    I only brine older birds. The young ones (less than 14 weeks) don't need it. Some say even older than that before they need brining, but I prefer to brine the ones older than that. It can be dome after thawing, or while thawing, no problem.

A lot of folks never brine at all. They seem happy with their birds too, so I wouldn't worry about it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by