I got 2 baby chicks at the tractor supply store, the workers know nothing there!!! HELP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DirtyBirds, Mar 22, 2013.

1. DirtyBirds

DirtyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2012
    NC
    I have 6 Red star chickens that I raised from 12 weeks and are almost a year old. I have never had baby chicks that are only a week or so old. I brought the two chicks home yesterday and set them up in a little bird cage but did not realize I needed a lamp because the person I asked questions at the store new nothing and neither did anyone else. Did I mentioned I didn't plan on going there for more chikens LOL. So I keep my house around 68degrees at night and they slept huddled together in the cedar flakes and were very quite, did not seem to be shaking or anything. This morning they seemed fine, so my questions is since they are inside birds right now do I even need to waste money on a lamp since I have been reading that most folks turn the light of at 3-4 weeks? I also have them in front of the window with the sun during the day. Thanks a bunch for any advice.

2. ArticStrat

ArticStrat Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    68 is kinda cold for week old chicks. I would get the lamp and provide them with some heat.

3. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    I would still get a lamp incase they need it. They will have the option to stay under it or move away.
    Also, I'm no expert, but I have read a bunch op posts where it is said that the cedar chips are not good for chicks.....sounds like the idea is pine or sand.

4. TravisE

TravisE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    fayette county wv
    i would get them off the cedar and get pine shavings. cedar can cause respiratory problems. their heat if a week old should be at 90f. witch should be droped 5f each week. til they are 6 to 7 weeks old or fully feathered. then its to the coop.
    hope this helps
    travis

5. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL

Chilling can kill and it is too cold for them in your house.

6. DirtyBirds

May 23, 2012
    NC
    I meant pine shavings, ok. My husband and I were worried so we put our space heater on for a bit last night to get the bathroom warm and toasty. I will pick one up today, what wattage,im going to get a red one? Is one brand better than another?

I have them on the baby chick medicated formula too, should I add some of the rooster booster to there water? Thanks

7. mattsinger

mattsinger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Davison, MI
    Ive only found the red in 250 w. You jsut adjust how far from the chicks it is to regulate the heat. I dont think there is much of a difference in brands, I jsut picked up a two pack from TSC

8. LiveVintage

LiveVintage Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    Indiana
    I think this is a prime example of doing research before you buy. Did you pick up starter crumbles for them when you bought them?

9. DirtyBirds

May 23, 2012
    NC
    Thanks for advice. Heading to the store this morning :)

10. DirtyBirds

May 23, 2012
    NC
    I did pick up the medicated starter crumbles. Like I said I was at the TSC to get my usual food for my other chickens so I know what I am doing once they have feathers but not as chicks. It was more of an impusle buy for my son who was with me but I am no dummy so I came home to do the research and get help. Trust me these chicks just lucked out with a great home, my other chickens are spoiled rotten :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by