I Got 2 Free Incubators!!!!!! (How do I clean them?)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dappertophatter, Jan 16, 2010.

1. dappertophatter

dappertophatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    My science teacher was cleaning out the supply closet, and she asked me if I wanted two incubators [​IMG] - if I didn't, she was just going to throw them out.
    HECK YEAH I WANT TWO BATORS!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

So, two round metal monstrosities are sitting in the garage, sadly, no egg turners. [​IMG]

How DO you clean metal ones? Zap them with bleach? Freeze them (large upright freezer in garage)? I want to get these puppies ready for spring!!!

Note from Dappertophatter: yup, my kid has my permission to post this- I'm excited too! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    hahaha!!! thats so wonderful!!!!!! congrats!!!!! [​IMG]

3. dappertophatter

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    HOLY COW.

The incubators are Brower I-845s- on eof the most reliable incubators EVER, from what I'm reading. [​IMG]

I can't believe it! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now, how do I clean these things? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I'd say with bleach and water....google the model number and you may be able to find the instruction manual...I had to do that with an old brower I was borrowing...Just make sure your thermometers are reading correctly...because I was using the one that they had with it...it would read the right temp in the room..but in fact I cooked 2 sets of eggs because it wasn't reading right...

5. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    Oh You LUCKY DUCK !!

6. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    No clue on the cleaning but congrats on the two free bators. I imagine you can just scrub them out with a mild bleach solution and give them time to dry out. Then run the bators to check temps. Are they perhaps the old brower top hatches?

7. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    awesomeness! you lucky little hatcher, u!

8. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    after a good scrubbing with bleach and good rinse..IF you are lucky enough to have a sunny day put them in the sun

9. dappertophatter

Mar 1, 2008
    The Jersey Shore
    Thanks everybody! My kid, who is having a rough time at school, cannot stop grinning ear-to-ear. Another example of the awesome power of CHICKENS! [​IMG]

Bleach makes sense, which brings me to the ratio question- A good glug to five gallons of water, or what?
    Will it rust if it dosen't dry out properly?

And yup, they're the old top-hatch model- Brower apparently dosen't make them anymore, and I am having trouble finding the instruction manual. I'll just have to keep googling, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by